Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplemonkeydishwash

seed questions

hi,

I have a d. capensis in full bloom and know that it can self pollinate. But is this the same for my drosera spathulata?

And also, I have heard that VFT seeds need to be ??'stratified'?? what does that mean ? :0

thanks.

Comments (6)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

D. spatulata can be germinated and cultivated in the same manner as D. capensis, only with less capability of tolerating the cold. Both are great window sill plants.

VFT seeds should be sown ASAP. Stratified means a cold and wet period before germination.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Venus Flytrap seeds do not need to be stratified at all (whoever told you that needs to germinate some Venus Flytraps). If you do not germinate them immediately after you collect them then refrigerate them until you want to grow them... but they will reduce in viability after a few months to a year.

Sarracenias and North American sundws do need stratification, like Petiolaris mentioned, in cold (about 40 degrees) damp conditions for about 8 weeks to three months.

D. spatulata do self-pollinate, but are even better at cloning themselves into clumps that you can divide after a year or two.

• cmm889
    16 years ago

I have a question about D.Spat's seeds also... I bought mine with a flowerstalk already on it and fully grown... I havn't seen it flower... how long does it usually take or has it done it already? any tips?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello Cmm889,

Drosera spatulata flower all the time continuously during the main part of the growing season. Mine have briefly flowered but never produce seeds. From what I understand, they are sporadic about actually flowering and producing seeds even though they do constantly send up scapes. I am not sure yet if more light, temperature adjustments, or other factors would increase the chances of flowers opening fully and seeds being produced. Maybe someone else has some advice for us on getting spatulatas to produce seeds consistently.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

It is also possible that the change of conditions (acquiring the plant) may have been just enough stress to arrest the devlopment of the stalk. That particular flower stalk may not progress. Here's a picture of D. spatulata, from a few years ago:

{{gwi:548173}}

The six on the left are from one clump that I bought the previous year. They just kept on producing new plants from the roots. The two on the left were purchased just before the picture was taken. Both were neglected plants at H.D. and each had flower stalks. One stalk stopped growing. The other continued.

If perchance yours ceases development, don't worry... it will send up another stalk eventually, assuming nothing bad happens.

• purplemonkeydishwash
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm planning to sow some of my VFT and drosera seeds now, but does anyone know if 'Killarney Peat Moss' is good to use? also, does anyone have advice on how to annihilate THRIPS!(I hate those little things)

Sponsored