Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my pitcher plant falling into partial dormancy?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 8:38

The pitchers on my Nepenthes keep drying up. No new pitchers are mforming, and the premature green baby pitchers aren't expanding or growing either. Instead THOSE pitchers are drying up too. I have increased the watering frequency from once a week to about 2 to 3 times a week. Is it dying or falling into partial dormancy? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my pitcher plant falling into partial dormancy?

That is normal, especially where we are in N.Y. Just keep the soil always moist and keep in a east or west window.

o

Now that I think about it, it's growing like there's nothing wrong with it. It's the pitchers that are having problems. So, maybe it will grow the pitchers back in the spring. My! Such an interesting plant! :-)

o

I'm sure the plant is fine, pitchers don't last forever, when they start to look ugly just clip them off at the leaf tip.

o

Okay, the winter is over in my area. There are still 6 pitchers on my Nepenthes to spare. They aren't drying up anymore and still have stomach acid in them and still digesting the bugs they currently have. How long before I see new pitchers? What do I do when I see new ones? Do I feed them right away or leave them alone? Thanks.

o

It may be a bit long where you are, I'm downstate a bit where it's a little warmer. You CAN feed the plant 1/4 strength orchid food every 2 weeks to initiate pitchering. also give them plenty of bright light. Just keep that soil moist, that's it!

o

I heard that feeding carnivorous plants through the roots can kill them since they've evolved to receive nutrients through their "mouth" so how much is a healthy dose for the Nepenthes? I ask so I don't give a lethal dose.

If size matters, let's just say it's gone psychotic. It has outgrown the pot most definitely. I'd say it's about 4 to 6 times the size of it's pot. It has doubled in size in the past 5 or 6 months that I have had it... the monster. lol

I have no clue what soil is good for it so I can't replant it yet. If you can tell me what to plant it in as well, that would be great too. Thanks for the response.

Attached is a picture of the "monstrosity" as I call it. From this angle, you can hardly see the pot it's in.

o

Feeding most carnivorous plants is bad. But a weak solution as I mentioned for NEPENTHES is fine. *I* feed MINE this time of year . But hey, do what you want. I'm just trying to help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here