Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pitcher plant/ monkey cups

Posted by flower.baby none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 11:03

I just got 2 pitcher plants, I'm not sure what the exact name is, but it is in a hanging basket, with all green leaves and the pitchers are redish on the top half and green on the bottom half. The mature pitchers are about 4 inches long (give or take an inch)

I was told that these plants like humidity, and also that I'm supposed to keep about a quarter inch of water in the pitchers at all times, and to keep the soil moist.

Also, when I brought them home, I noticed some black spots of mold/ mildew on the stems, leaves and pitchers. I wiped some of it off with a wet q-tip, then I called the store that I bought them from and they said they would give me a free bottle of silver solution spray to kill mold and mildew on plants. So I sprayed the plant and it seems to work.

My questions are:

How long do te pitchers last?
Do these plants produce pitchers year round?
How can I encourage it to veep producing pitchers as thenoldnones die?

I'm kind of worried about this plant because in the winter my house is not humid at all because of the heater. And it also gets pretty cold in the house at night.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pitcher plant/ monkey cups

Congrats on your new Nepenthes! Don't worry about humidity, they're pretty adaptable. For mold/fungus use a SULFUR based fungicide.

How long do te pitchers last? Never timed mine out but at least a month I think.

Do these plants produce pitchers year round?
No. They stop in fall/winter for the most part.

How can I encourage it to veep producing pitchers as thenoldnones die?
In late winter/early spring spray them with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer every 2 weeks

o

Tommyr
Thanks for all the info! And please excuse all my type-o's, I'm typing on my phone. And yes I meant sulfur not silver, darn autocorrect!

o

Sounds like a Ventrata from your description

DON'T add water to the pitchers
It's not water that's in them but a digestive enzyme that the plant produces

It's ok to do so when you first get it if they're empty
But don't add water to any of the new ones it make

One thing everyone seems to fail to mention is if you keep it indoors don't forget to feed it / LOL
Flies spiders moths roaches crickets whatever is crawling around etc.
Just No Meat i.e. hamburger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here