Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venus Fly Trap Help Needed

Posted by Zell755344 Vermont (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 11:35

Hey guys,

this is my first carnivorous plant, and it is in rough shape. I bought it at local grocery stores nursery department.

It is very wilty, and it has all green traps that seem almost over open.

It doesn't seem to be in a dormant stage because it has new growth in the middle with a little stem coming out.

I have done some research, but none that really helps.

Thabks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venus Fly Trap Help Needed

After reading some stuff, i actually trimmed back the dead/damaged leaves and traps hoping that helps.

o

The plant is indoors right? These need a dormancy period in fall/winter. Place it in an unheated garage or basement or anywhere the temperature is around 40 degrees F. Mine go in the bottom of my fridge. Around March- April I take them out, place them in a water tray with DISTILLED or RAIN water in a south and west window until last frost is over. Then they go OUTSIDE (where they belong) in FULL Sun for at least 6-8 hours or more a day. In water trays.

o

Looks like you have two things going on here. The first thing is that the plant looks light starved. Give it more light and the traps should start coming out nice. The second thing is that it possible to give too much water to VFT's.

During the cooler months in winter if you should be making them go dormant for a period of 2 or more months. If you decide to hold off a bit you do not have to keep it sitting in water. Let it dry off a bit but not dry out.

Put that thing into dormancy till spring and it will give you a good show over the summer :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here