Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

please help me save my pitcher plant!!!

LilBit7765
9 years ago

To start I should explain how it happened. I am in the process of closing on a house and our house closed before our new one did. So we are staying with a friend and I am limited on space for my plants. So I have a friend who offered to take care of a few, one of them being my pitcher plant. When I went to check on my plants, this is the condition of my pitcher plant. Needless to say I grabbed my plants up and took with me. The soil was BONE DRY, it was hanging on a curtain rod right up to a west window. My other concerns is I live in michigan, is being to close to the window like that contributing to my plants health now? Is it salvageable? What do I need to do? How far away from my window do I have to keep it? I would think that would have anything to do with it because I read they can take 20 degrees for short periods. Is this wrong? The coldest it is outside now here at night is 30 going down to 27 later in the week. Is it ok right near the window In a heated house? Any help getting my plant healthy again would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (17)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't know how to post multiple pics

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic thanks again!

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here are two leaves I pulled of the plant

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

We need more info. How are you watering it and with what kind of water? How much light does it get?

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She unfortunately had it in a west window. So it wAs getting hot afternoon heat. She was watering from the top with distilled water. Even though it's fall now the west windows still get HOT. My plant was BONE dry. Infact I got it back on Wednesday and the soil is dry again. Honest I couldn't tell you how often she watered but she did tell me she thought in winter that you're supposed to not water as much

• paul_
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by LilBit7765
    ...but she did tell me she thought in winter that you're supposed to not water as much

Considering that, generally speaking, she's right, her mistake is quite understandable. The majority of houseplants should receive less water in the winter as the cooler temps result in a slowing down of their metabolism including respiration. However, there are exceptions ... Do you recall whether or not you gave her clear instructions as to never letting the nep completely dry out but rather to keep it lightly moist? If not, then you can't be too mad at her. Also, if she is used to growing plants in soil, she may not have realized how much more quickly other types of media dry out.

I haven't done much with neps over the years as they simply get too big for my space, so hopefully those more experienced than I will chime in. I wonder if it might benefit from some time in an ICU -- where you could keep the humidity higher for a time? (If this was an orchid, that is the type of thing I would recommend.)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

The soil MUST remain ALWAYS moist. NEVER let it dry out.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I told her not to let it dry out that it should remain a little damp at all times. I really think she thought she was doing the best. I'm just wondering if the bigger OLDER leaves will be able to be saved. Or should I cut them focussing on the baby leaves? The baby leaves still look in good shape the older ones look shriveled and dehydrated. How long should I give it b4 I call the older ones a loss? Thanks again

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Well you could try that, cut off the worst looking big leaves and keep that soil moist. give it bright, indirect Sun. But don't hold your hopes up too high.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So you think the WHOLE plant will die? Even the baby leaves? I'll post a pic of those tomorrow (or later today I guess I should say) they look ok to me. Though this is my first one. When I got it the nursery sold it to me REAL CHEAP $2.50 it had fungus on it. I was so proud of myself getting it back into good health! I should've taken this one with me but I figured it would be hard for her to OVER water. Thanks everyone for your help

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Are the baby leaves at the base of the plant? Show a photo of them to us.
    You should NEVER buy a plant with fungus or one that looks BAD.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know. I felt sorry for it. It was the last one and had been there for MONTHS. This is the one you helped me with when I first got it Tommy. (Which I greatly appreciated) here's the pic of the baby leaves. Once again thanks everyone!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

For now I would cut off all bad leaves and keep it moist with bright light. Time will tell if it makes it.

• hunterkiller03
    9 years ago

The last photo you posted of the growing plantlets looks fine to me. They look like they will survive without problem. Their leaves looks wavy due to the loss of water, but they look "shine" (so to speak) indicating they will survive this

But here is my suggestion based on my experience when plants were accidentally let to dry out. Once by me, twice by other people I ask to take care of my plants.

If what I see is correct, seems the stem of your nep looks strong, often well established plants with good roots will survive a bone dry pot.

This is what I have done to salvage the plant. I cut the leaves that are dead, those that are still green I live alone. Cutting those that eventually die.

I've seen that older leaves, the lower ones will likely die, but recent leaves will likely survive. But any pitcher or developing pitcher will die. Once the growing tip began to shoot out new leaves, you probably won't be seeing new pitchers, or the pitchers will developed malformed for some time until it recovers from the shock.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone SOO much!! I'm gonna do my best to save this little guy. Oh and another question: we pulled out on our closing of our original house and now are getting a different one which I'll have the option for ANY window lighting (North, South, Eas, and West) while it's recuperating, which would be the best? And when it's healthy again (and if still winter) which would be the best window for him then? Thanks again! :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

A south window will be fine for fall/winter. In the spring summer give it bright, indirect Sun.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tommy!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath