Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenia substrate observation

Posted by dnieter 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 12:35

This year I tried a bunch of different mixtures to grow my "kids" in just to see what difference (if any) it made. As I posted before, I hibernate my Sarracenia in refrigerators by removing them from the soil, spraying with fungicide (SAFER brand since benomyl is gone), and sealing in a plastic bag with a little fresh sphagnum and distilled water. This wasn't a scientific experiment, but my subjective evaluation on the plants.
Media:
1)Peat Moss
2)Equal parts peat moss and perlite
3)Equal parts peat moss and sand
4)Equal parts peat moss, sand, and perlite.
5)Equal parts perlite and long-fiber sphagnum
6)Bottom of container filled with peat moss,top 6" of container filled with long-fiber sphagnum.
7)100% long fiber sphagnum

I have ~150 plants of every Sarracenia variety imaginable.

RESULTS: The plants grown in pure sphagnum and pots with 6" top layer of sphagnum were noticeably more robust and the rhizomes had made more massive growth over the summer. The worst was the peat moss/perlite mixture which seemed to actually stunt the plants a little.

I know it is expensive, but I will only be using long-fiber sphagnum moss in the future. A lot of my plants are rare ane expensive, and I figure they're worth it.

Like I said, this wasn't scientific, but the results were very obvious.

Side note: All are grown outside in 80% sun.
Side note 2: I grow a couple of dozen venus fly traps kind of as a side project. They seem to have no difference in their foliage depending on the substrate.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenia substrate observation

Nice experiment, thanks for posting the results. Did you take any pics of the representative differences that you can post?
-Don

o

Yes, post your results announcing with big letters in the subject line.

o

I like to mix sand and peat and add LFS to the top. That's a general mix for most of what I do. I figure that mimics nature fairly well. Not a fan of Perlite. Thnaks for sharing your experiment.

o

I'll have to try this myself next spring, I do the same thing with mine for winter storage. Thanks for the info!

o

Sorry, I didn't take any pics. TRUST ME, it takes long enough to put them all in stasis as it is!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here