Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carniv.Plant need to "hibernate"?

Posted by SWSpokes OR (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 13:10

I know little to nothing about these plants, but I have one given to me as a gift. I think it may be one that needs to have a dormant period, but I'm unclear exactly what that means re the conditions I should keep it in, how long, etc.
The plant label says:
S.Flava v. cuprea x v. rubricorpora
It's a funnel-style plant, only maybe 6 inches high...maybe less. Since I got it in late August, it's been in a West-facing window here in Southern Oregon most of the time, though I did put it outside sometimes. The room it's in now doesn't have good heating, so it probably isn't averaging over 50-55 degrees right now and will be that way through-out winter. I don't think it can be outdoors for winter, as we regularly get down below freezing... and even colder than usual is expected this winter.. like perhaps an instance or two down to single digits!
I've been keeping it in a dish of water, as I thought it was supposed to stay wet regardless of dormancy. But do I need to keep it in the dark? Could I just leave it in this cool room, maybe put a cardboard box over it or something to make it darker, and continue to keep it wet? Basically I just need to know what conditions would be ideal for winter months [re light, moisture, temp]... and how do I know when it's time to put it back in the window again?
Also, I'm curious if it would be better to have it outdoors when next summer rolls around, as opposed to leaving it in a window in the house. If outdoors, how much shade would be needed.. Temps here in the summer are regularly above 90, not unusual to be above 100, and humidity is kind of low.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
:Addl: Carniv.Plant need to "hibernate"?

I should have asked also: Do I need to feed my plant during dormancy??
I have flies in the house in summer, but I really don't know how successful the plant has been at catching any so far. And in winter there's nothing around. So maybe I should be supplementing it's diet??

o
RE: Carniv.Plant need to "hibernate"?

I have the same plant, it is a cross between to varieties of Sarracenia flava. I got mine at California Carnivores, did you get yours from the same nursery?

The plant do need dormancy, but if the leaves are still alive & capturing. So be it. But you don't need to feed it

If you afraid of the plant freezing, make sure you keep it very cool and under low light. Just keep the soil moist, not wet because they are more vulnerable to fungus attack when dormant.

o

These plants are mostly triggered to go dormant by decreasing light levels more than the temperature. Sarracenia, being native to the US, are quite resilient in low temperatures as long as the roots aren't wet enough to freeze. My climate doesn't test their temperature but I think you'd be okay putting it in a sunny spot outside protected from north wind. Your goal for light should be 4-6 hours.

As far as water... let the tray dry for a few days before refilling. They like to be moist during dormancy but not as much so as when they are growing.

o

These plants are mostly triggered to go dormant by decreasing light levels more than the temperature. Sarracenia, being native to the US, are quite resilient in low temperatures as long as the roots aren't wet enough to freeze. My climate doesn't test their temperature but I think you'd be okay putting it in a sunny spot outside protected from north wind. Your goal for light should be 4-6 hours.

As far as water... let the tray dry for a few days before refilling. They like to be moist during dormancy but not as much so as when they are growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here