Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swspokes

Carniv.Plant need to "hibernate"?

SWSpokes
10 years ago

I know little to nothing about these plants, but I have one given to me as a gift. I think it may be one that needs to have a dormant period, but I'm unclear exactly what that means re the conditions I should keep it in, how long, etc.
The plant label says:
S.Flava v. cuprea x v. rubricorpora
It's a funnel-style plant, only maybe 6 inches high...maybe less. Since I got it in late August, it's been in a West-facing window here in Southern Oregon most of the time, though I did put it outside sometimes. The room it's in now doesn't have good heating, so it probably isn't averaging over 50-55 degrees right now and will be that way through-out winter. I don't think it can be outdoors for winter, as we regularly get down below freezing... and even colder than usual is expected this winter.. like perhaps an instance or two down to single digits!
I've been keeping it in a dish of water, as I thought it was supposed to stay wet regardless of dormancy. But do I need to keep it in the dark? Could I just leave it in this cool room, maybe put a cardboard box over it or something to make it darker, and continue to keep it wet? Basically I just need to know what conditions would be ideal for winter months [re light, moisture, temp]... and how do I know when it's time to put it back in the window again?
Also, I'm curious if it would be better to have it outdoors when next summer rolls around, as opposed to leaving it in a window in the house. If outdoors, how much shade would be needed.. Temps here in the summer are regularly above 90, not unusual to be above 100, and humidity is kind of low.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area