Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceymae053

N. rafflesiana

laceymae053
13 years ago

Hi! A couple of questions here...

What kind of potting medium should I use for N. rafflesiana? And also, I'd like to try to propagate a clipping from an alata - what kind of medium should that be?

thanks!

Comments (7)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Both will do fine in the same mix. It needs to be light, airy and well draining. I use a mix of 2/1/1 sphagnum peat/perlite/ orchid bark(pine bark fines).
    Make the mix moist before application.
    Mist the cuttings daily instead of watering the soil. If the mix is too wet the cuttings will mold and rot before rooting. Treat them like you would a cactus IME.

• laceymae053
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks taz. I also got the lights you suggested and the plants really seem to be enjoying them *yay*, but the sundews haven't turned pink yet? Should I wait longer? (The lights are about 2' above the dews if that matters)

• banjoman
    13 years ago

The sundews will really thrive under the lights. 2 inches in plenty close to get them to color up nicely, but it could be a gradual process over 4 weeks or so.

Regarding propagation of Nepenthes cuttings, I have a question. I've been trying for months to root Nepenthes (Deroose Alata) cuttings in water. They've stayed healthy, but absolutely no sign of roots. And the green shoots have developed a woody appearance that I think may never develop roots. Is use of rooting hormone and putting them into medium a much more reliable method? Can I still try this with the cuttings that have been in water for months?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

@ lacey yes it may take a while to start showing (maybe a couple weeks)but they will turn red under those lights even at 6 inches.

@ bm months? I doubt they're going to root if they have no signs by now. I never use the water method because the process starts all over once you put them in media. Water roots are not the same as soil roots.
    You can try them in media but cut a thin slice from the bottom to see if there's any sign of viable material. It may be rotting inside. If you use rooting hormone (which isn't necessary) don't use it on the wound, use it on the nodes.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

I've started cuttings in water. Some formed roots and I was able to transition them to soil media. Some died in the transition. Some never rooted and just rotted. I've never used a rooting hormone but used purified water and as strong lighting as I had available. I have been taught to cut the stem at an angle to allow for the most amount of surface area for root development.
    {{gwi:550995}}

{{gwi:547543}}

{{gwi:547542}}

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Jim roots don't form at the wound. The angle is for max water uptake. I've found a 45 degree cut to be best.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Okay

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery