Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooseling_gw

Carnivore Newbie!

mooseling
14 years ago

I've been fascinated by carnivorous plants and got my first one recently, a Sarracenia purpurea. I haven't planted him outdoors yet. Maybe next spring. But it seems as if I'm creating a mini-bog in my backyard, as I've also recently got Louisiana iris and Equisetum, and I'd like to get some more carnivores. I know Pinguicula vulgaris is hardy here in zone 5, but I don't know what else is. I heard that there is a Drosera that is native to Colorado, but I have no idea where in the state or if it would grow in the Denver area. Any advice as to what other carnivores would grow well in zone 5? Or advice about growing them outdoors?

I also would like to get a Nepenthes as a houseplant. Which species or hybrids are recommended for beginners? I was thinking a highland species just given the fact that I'm at high altitude. I was thinking that I could take him outside during the summer, but would that not be good for him seeing as how we've got low humidity here? I thought it would be good for the day/night temperature difference. Or maybe set him next to the mini bog? Or is it possible to actually plant and dig them out in the fall, or should that not be done with Nepenthes?

One last question about the outdoor thing - how far away should fertilizer be kept from carnivores? Because I don't want to plant them too close to the iris, which will probably want fertilizer. Or would it be best to keep the two completely separate?

Comments (9)

• ltecato
    14 years ago

As far as your bog goes, the horsetail shouldn't need fertilizer. Since it tends to get invasive, I wouldn't be too eager to feed it. I don't know about the iris, but I'd try growing your bog without any fertilizer added. Native plants might colonize it on their own. I had a volunteer juncus that appeared in one of my sarracenia pots last summer, even though I used store-bought peat and perlite for the soil. In other words, I didn't put any juncus in there.

You can find recommendations for easy neps with a little Googling. Alata and sanguinea are supposed to be good for beginners. I think most people grow them in hanging baskets, rather than planting them in the ground.

• terrestrial_man
    14 years ago

Drosera rotundifolia occurs in Jackson and Gunnison counties. If you are interested in Colorado natives maybe you might want to join the native plant society?

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Native Plant Society

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Since the soil around you has minerals and nutrients a bog will need to be treated as if you were building a pond. You'll have to dig a big hole and lay down plastic or one of those kiddy pools or something similar and fill it with peat and sand.
    Your purpurea may be alright outside but it needs a dormancy. Lots of info already posted on that.
    Highland Nepenthes would be a good choice but I'm not familiar with them. Some don't need the humidity if they are getting enough light. Some won't pitcher very good without high humidity. Check out pitcher-plants.com

Here is a link that might be useful: pitcher-plants.com

• buckcity
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Taz6122.

• mooseling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It'd be interesting to see what around here could grow in bog-like conditions, considering we're dry and alkaline, and this will be moist and acidic.

I've been trying to read everything on purpurea here. I think he'll go dormant just fine outside in the winter.

I saw a Nepenthes at Lowe's last night. I kept seeing comments here about Lowe's carnivores, and kept wondering why mine didn't have any besides Flytraps and the occasional Sarracenia. They actually had Sarracenia's not in the cubes once. But I was thinking about buying it and seeing if I could make it survive.

Thanks for the help!

• taz6122
    14 years ago

That's the weird thing with Lowes. I went there last night and they had VFTs, Darlingtonias, D.adelaes and Nepenthes and it has already froze in this area. They dont care if it survives as long as they sell it. $$ is $$.

• mooseling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At my Lowe's, the garden people just don't know about carnivores. They just throw regular water on them, and I know those buckets they water from can get contaminated by fertilizer too. But at least they moved all the plants indoors before it got too cold here. And Lowe's should refund your money on dead plants too. I'm not sure if the one year guarantee applies to houseplants or not, but the normal 90 day policy should apply. Actually, Lowe's pretty much returns anything. I've seen people bring in sticks and get money back.

• mooseling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gave in and bought the Nepenthes at Lowes. Not even sure what species it is or whether it's highland or lowland, which would have been helpful to put on the box. Oh well. But it didn't seem to be doing too bad. It had a small pitcher on Sunday, and it was full grown now, and there are two other pitchers about to form, so I decided I'd give it a try. Almost grabbed a VFT, but I'm going to wait until spring and get it from a better place.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

It's probably ventrata. It should do fine as a house plant as long as you give it a couple hours of morning or evening sun and a bright location the rest of the day. Mist it at least twice a day and don't keep it standing in water unless you drill some holes in the side close to the bottom of the pot. If it's the same pot mine came in it only has holes in the bottom. Roots of Nepenthes need more air than others and most people don't understand this. Good luck with your new plant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting