Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several questions on my Venus fly trap seeds

Posted by TamTrible 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 15:36

I bought a packet of Venus flytrap seeds on the internets, and (as per the seller's instructions), stuck them in my fridge to cold-stratify. On December 4, they will have been in the fridge for 6 weeks (the instructions said 6-8 weeks), so I can begin planting them. I have RO water available (at least in theory, the membrane's probably a bit iffy by now, though it has new other filters).

But I'm trying to figure out suitable planting setups.
I have dried sphagnum moss (not peat moss, just moss). I also have water crystals (these guys: http://www.watersorb.com/ ). And I can obtain other things, but would prefer not to spend much money. What would people recommend? I can try a few different setups, I do have 30 seeds to play with. (I was probably going to plant them in pairs, but still...)

I have one pot set up with shredded sphagnum moss mixed with a bit of watersorb crystal. I'll probably start 2-4 of the seeds in there.

Also, if I can get some pods for my Aerogarden, I can try starting some of the seeds there, probably using more of the sphagnum moss as the medium. Or possibly a (natural) sponge. Or maybe just cotton balls. Should I fill it with RO water, or is the (hard) tap water that's been sitting in it for weeks (without fertilizer) OK? Or should I use a mixture, and if so how much should be RO water? And what medium or mediums would you recommend for this context? (it needs to be something with large enough pieces not to fall out the bottom of the pod, so no perlite or water crystals...)

Which brings me to another question. I may get some Aerogarden pods for Christmas, would it harm the seeds any to cold-stratify for ~ 9 weeks instead of 6-8? Or would the Aerogarden be a bad idea in the first place, so I just shouldn't bother?

Any other advice or tips on starting Venus flytraps from seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several questions on my Venus fly trap seeds

Available potting media:
sand (perlite was too expensive, they only had giant bags)
sphagnum moss (not peat moss, just moss)
water crystals
clay cat litter (unscented)
Cotton balls and the like
Regular potting soil

What mixtures of the above do you think might work well for my seeds?

o

Actually, VFT seeds should be sown ASAP. I would go to Lowes or Home Depot or any garden center and buy a bag of orchid moss or Mosser Lee long fibered sphagnum. It's ~$4 and be done with it. Happy Thanksgiving!

o

And forget the water crystals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here