Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips and tricks?

Posted by LunRTwilight 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 15:47

I just bought a Venus Fly Trap and I'll be the first to admit that I never had much luck growing them as a kid. Now that I'm older, I thought I'd give it another go.

I know it's getting cooler and they need to go into a dormant state, but how should I do this? Does it need sunlight during dormancy? What about humidity? If anyone has any tips or tricks for a newbie like me, I'd appreciate it!

LunR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips and tricks?

It does not need light during dormancy, mine go in the fridge for the fall/winter.
In zip lock bags.

Use rainwater or distilled water ONLY, no tap or bottled waters.

I'd slowly get it used to outside temps then when it gets close to freezing put it somewhere like a basement or garage where the temps stay around 35-40 F.

o
RE: Tips and tricks?

Hi LunR,
What are your climate conditions like? VFTs can handle light freezing lemps over the winter. If it is possible to left them go dormant outside, that is the best approach IMO. If it is too warm where you are at than the fridge trick does work. If folliage remains on the plant and does not die off completely, make sure it gets light, other than that, as stated, light is not really necessary. (If there are no leaves then light wont do much good afterall) Is this the first year you have had it? If you recieved it bare root and/or it is not fully acclimated yet then the argument could be made that allowing it to skip dormancy this season is beneficial. Personally, I often skip dormany my first year with a new VFT and allow it to focus on vegetative growth. I only do that first season, especially if it is recieve bare root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here