Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepenthes_ceasar

post your nepenthes pictures here!

nepenthes_ceasar
16 years ago

i am really interested in nepethes. i have seen this sort of post on other sites and thought it would be a good post here.i love nepenthes and ime sure many of the people participating in this forum have some good ones. any nepenthes, though i (and i am sure many other people would too.) would absoloutly LOVE to see pix of nepenthes ceasar, nepenthes talengensis, nepenthes rajah, nepenthes williamsii,nepenthes truncata, nepenthes alata, nepenthes ampullaria, and nepenthes merrilliana. i am interested in buying any large specimens of n.sanguinea and n.ventricosa. lrge so tht they are more likly to flower. male and female is what i need. i want to cross them and see what would happen. i beleive it would be the perfect hybrid.

Comments (69)

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

excuse me if this sounds rude but does Anyone have n. williamsii. it seems extremly rare to me.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Both N. Judith Finn and ventrata are in the planter. The ventrata is the one with flower, and yes, it is a male. It went unrequited, though!

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cool!

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

more pictures please! this post seems to have come to a dead end.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

here's a pitcher plant i got in the mail 4 days ago
    {{gwi:568639}}
    {{gwi:568640}}

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow!!! either that plant came that size or it grew vry fast!! where did you get it??!!

• drwurm
    16 years ago

Okay, not quite up to the size of the other Neps here. But this is my little N. Ephippiata. The pitcher in the foreground is about the size of a cooked rice grain. It has not opened yet.

{{gwi:568642}}

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

got it on ebay, 3 of it's pitchers were badly damaged and i had to cut them off, the one's hanging from the plant at the moment are mildly damaged

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

who was the seller? what kind is it.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

hirts garden, it was selling as N. velvet but it's more along the lines of a N maxima x ? :(

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

That is definatley not nepenthes velvet.
    It looks like N. miranda.
    Good luck.
    Adrian

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no way is that velvet. yeah maxima hybrid maybe. truncata hybrid maybe? cool plant.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

open_window_maniac, i think iv found your plant! nepenthes marbled dragon!

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh by the way, look up at the first picture on this post. that looks alot like your plant! maybe you could ask them what theirs is.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i think it's the same as mine

• nepenthes_grower
    16 years ago

First pic in thread is N X Mixta. I recently got alot of neps from Sarracenia Northwest: N. Ceaser N. Truncata Highland N. Sanguina blood red form N. Alata X Merriliana. I just have to find that darned camera now.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

U GOT N.CAESAR???!! thats awsome!! oh, i spoke with sarracenia northwest and they said that the guy who developed nepenthes caesar has agreed to reduce prices in return for more sales!

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

any one have pix of n. hamata and n. ventricosa?

• nepenthes_grower
    16 years ago

Finally found that camera! Here are the pics.

N. Ceasar

{{gwi:568643}}

N. Truncata

{{gwi:568644}}

N. Alata X Merriliana

{{gwi:568645}}

N. Sanguina

{{gwi:568646}}

I also have that much bigger N X Mixta but im to lazy to post the pics of that right now. :P If you really want to see it you can probly find some pictures of it here on the forum. :D

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

N. Caesar lots like N.alata

• nepenthes_grower
    16 years ago

Really? I didn't think it looked like alata at all.

{{gwi:568643}}

I think it actually looks like truncata with spots and a hint of rajah. Especially on the lid.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thats a pretty small ceasar. looks cool though. how big would you say the pitchers are?

• nepenthes_grower
    16 years ago

Its from sarracenia northwest and it about 2 years old and the pitchers measure abut 3 inches give or take some i guess. Pretty big for 2 years i think. They shoudl be huge when mature :D

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yep they get big.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

can anybody get pictures of an upclose flying insects eyeview of a nepenthes ventrata pitcher?

• nycti
    16 years ago

{{gwi:568647}}
    First attempt at posting pics here, first attempt at Nepenthes to. This one was rescued from Home Depot in July. Is this a N. venticosa?

Happy Holidays,
    Nycti

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anyone have a n. ventricosa "k"?

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

looks like n. ventricosa. the pic is not very clear.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i received N.ventrata from home depot, so it's safe to say ur plant is the ventrata

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

really? i dont think so. i have a large ventrata that i just got in the mail. it seems to still produce immature lower pitchers. they look nothing like that. it would be easier to tell if you got a better pic.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

by the way, organic_trickster what plant is that in your post. the one that looked a bit like n. ventrata but had whiter pailer pitchers?

• nycti
    16 years ago

I don't have a new digital and am using my phone camera. This pic is a little closer, still blurry, but the best I can do for now.
    {{gwi:568649}}

Happy Holidays,
    Nycti

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

still hard to tell but it is not ventricosa which would probably mean its ventrata.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

actually, could be ventricosa. anyone have some nice pictures of nepenthes rajah?

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Hi Nepenthes Ceasar. You're right, it's a ventrata. It's probably my camera that makes the pitchers look white. When I bought it 14 months ago it had 6 large pitchers, which it lost due to low humidity & shock over a month. It then refused to pitcher for about 6 months.

As you can see the pitchers are on the small side, especially when compared to how big they were when I purchased it. Maybe I should be pruning it, instead of letting it grow wild? I'm a bit of a newbie with the care of pitchers, even though I have a minature Lowli and a sanguina, which seem to grow a lot easier than the ventrata.

I brought it inside since the cold weather started and it looks like it stopped producing pitchers again!

Have you had any luck trying to source any neps you've been after? I see posts from you all the time on this forum.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

here's my ventrata, it grew alot ever since i got it in july
    {{gwi:568650}}
    {{gwi:568651}}

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok thank for the pic. that is definatly where i want my ventrata to be. it has some brown leaves. it is still getting over shipping shock. can anyone post pix of n. ventrata upper pitchers? i cant seem to find many pix of them. organic_trickster, i would try pruning it. i have heard that that helps. while you prune, you can also take cuttings. good growing to all!

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Hi there, just asking to inquire about where you purchased your plants and what is the growing media for you neps. Interested to find out.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

I received N.ventrata from home depot, i got n.rafflesiana from www.bugbitingplants.com(2+ months after and it is still in shock), and i got my n.mirdana(i think that's how it's spelled) on ebay. i use grounded up coconut husk as a growing medium. i'm not sure if it's the best thing, but my neps seem to be doing fine so far.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hunterkiller,

I got my Nepenthes sanguinea at cobraplant.com, planted it in 1/3 coconut husk / 1/3 peat moss / 1/3 orchid bark, and it suffered no shipping shock, continuously pitchering through the past year. It started with 2 inch pitchers and now produces 6 inch pitchers. I grow it open pot indoors in moderate humidity South Texas.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

suprise suprise, my sanguinea is now pitchering at an unbeleivable rate, already has a pitcher that is almost complete, then another pitcher that is getting close, i mean, the leaf this pitcher is on has only been open for a few days. then the leaf stalk is growing at an unbelevable rate, it has tripled in size since the other leaf opened.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anyone who has any nepenthes purchased from california carnivores via mail order, could you post a pic of what the plant looked when it came, and what it looked a few weeks later?

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

my nepenthes sanguinea is growing like crazy. too bad i cant post pics. anyway, why do i seem to be the only one posting on this thread? lol

• nepenthes_ceasar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Any more pictures?

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Here's my sanguinea and the worlds smallest Lowii. Well, the smallest I've ever purchased. You should have seen the size of the box it came in, sadly I was kinda disappointed. ;-(

{{gwi:568652}}

{{gwi:568653}}

• drwurm
    16 years ago

LOL i feel sorry for you and your Lowii. I have an Ephippiata(very close ties to Lowii) which grows very slowly, but even it is supposed to grow faster than Lowii. Just stick it in the back of your collection and wait a year or two before looking at it again.

BTW, I've heard that keeping a nepenthes standing in water is bad.

• deadhamster
    16 years ago

My Truncata, that pitcher is around 8 inches tall.
    {{gwi:568368}}

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Hi drwurm. I'm learning by my mistakes. Definitely do not buy from wistuba.com. Fantastic pictures to draw you in and then the sting. They're based in Germany and as there are very few carnivorous plant sites in the UK we have to try Europe.

I was almost brought to tears when I opened the box, it was smaller than it is in the pic. Donations are welcome. LOL.

My neps are sitting in a bed of spag moss. I thought I'd grow it around my neps to increase what little amount I had and to increase humidity. It's more of an experiment, so far they have both been okay and not rotted.

More pics peeps?

• drwurm
    16 years ago

huh. I've been to that site a few times, it's pretty well put together. Guess that doesn't mean great plants.

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Yeah, it is. You should check out their gallery. Trips to Borneo, Sumatra & such likes have been funded by suckers like me. The same applies to Nepenti.nl who have a great looking site & used to trade on e-bay. They supplied me with a flytrap even smaller than the lowii!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths