Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
post your nepenthes pictures here!

Posted by nepenthes_ceasar (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 17:56

i am really interested in nepethes. i have seen this sort of post on other sites and thought it would be a good post here.i love nepenthes and ime sure many of the people participating in this forum have some good ones. any nepenthes, though i (and i am sure many other people would too.) would absoloutly LOVE to see pix of nepenthes ceasar, nepenthes talengensis, nepenthes rajah, nepenthes williamsii,nepenthes truncata, nepenthes alata, nepenthes ampullaria, and nepenthes merrilliana. i am interested in buying any large specimens of n.sanguinea and n.ventricosa. lrge so tht they are more likly to flower. male and female is what i need. i want to cross them and see what would happen. i beleive it would be the perfect hybrid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: post your nepenthes pictures here!

O.K.!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

i wish my nep could look as grant as that

o

WOW! n. rafflesiana and n. ventrata ime guessing. might be wrong about the first pic though. not very good about distinguishing n. raffllesiana from numorous other nepenthes species. they look great!! 6 years old i'd guess. again, awsome pix! i wish my nepenthes were that big.

o

Here's mine. It hangs under some oak trees in my back yard for most of the year. I bring it indoors for the winter. I always cut it back so that it doesn't hang over the pot and remove all the pitchers before I bring it inside (I don't want all that water and dead bugs in my house). I've done this for several years with good success. But I decided to come here and see what other people do in the winter. Interesting forum!

Kathy

o

WOW Kathy! That plant's been around awhile! It's LOADED! Awesome!

o

holy cow thats a pretty amazing plant you have there!

o

I agree, gorgeous plant you have there Kathy.

Here is my N. sanguinea again, recent pitchers have been growing in at about 5 1/2 to 6 inches now. It is in the process of removing smaller older pitchers and is growing more upright and taller. I have only had it a year thus far, starting it from a tiny 3 inch plant to a 14 inch across teenager. Can't wait to see it fully bush out and vine more.

o

Hello, this is actually cpgrower770 but i was not here for so long that i guess it deleted my profile name or something. Anyway, first I forgot to say thank you to carnivorous plants and mutant hybrid for identifying my nep. Second, just for info the very first pic is N X Mixta.

o

Thanks for the ID! Appreciate it! Wasn't sure which it was.

o

Your Welcome. I have the same plant. BTW, Great Looking plant y'all.

o

i'll post later when my rajah has pitchers

o

I live in Western NY and this is a shot from the bathroom window:

I have no idea why this ventrata thought it appropriate to flower!

o

how do you post pictures on this site?

o

This is what i use.

Go to www.photobucket.com

Register there and do that stuff.

Then if your picture is on your computer, go too your album and on one of the things hit browse.

Then find your picture and double click on it.

This will put it in there.

Repeat with all pictures.

Then hit upload.

Then once all are uploaded, copy the bar that says html

then paste that code on here.

Then Enjoy.

o

Or you could follow Mutant_hybrid's instructions as below. This way post's your pictures directly, so no need to copy whatever link you provide.

I had to work at it to find out how to post pictures too. First, find a good free picture download site, I use allyoucanupload.com. Just load up your pictures to them and use the section that states "link to original picture" and "for forum and message board use" and "primary." Copy that line and you will get this kind of link:

[URL=http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002596430646750016][IMG]http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/12519/2002596430646750016_rs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

You will only need the second half of this link and can delete all of it except:
http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/12519/2002596430646750016_rs.jpg

Type in img src="" and paste your link between the quotation marks. Next add <> around the entire code line to activate it. That is, the < goes in front of the img src=" part and the > goes at the very end of your link after the end quotation mark.

When you preview the message, you should see the image like this:

o

Photobucket is similar cept u just need to upload and copy paste html code.

o

Is that without all the scr img stuff?

o

Looks like Petiolaris's Nepenthes is a male from the flower structure.. Good pics of those flower parts there Petiolaris.

o

Yes it is without the scr img stuff. You just upload copy the tab/box below the picture that says html and paste! Petiolaris, what is the nep in the first picture that you posted? Is it spathulata? Or is it a ventrata? or maybe judith finn? It looks great!

o

excuse me if this sounds rude but does Anyone have n. williamsii. it seems extremly rare to me.

o

Both N. Judith Finn and ventrata are in the planter. The ventrata is the one with flower, and yes, it is a male. It went unrequited, though!

o

cool!

o

more pictures please! this post seems to have come to a dead end.

o

here's a pitcher plant i got in the mail 4 days ago

o

wow!!! either that plant came that size or it grew vry fast!! where did you get it??!!

o

• Posted by drwurm Coastal LA: Mediterr (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 18:28

Okay, not quite up to the size of the other Neps here. But this is my little N. Ephippiata. The pitcher in the foreground is about the size of a cooked rice grain. It has not opened yet.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

o

got it on ebay, 3 of it's pitchers were badly damaged and i had to cut them off, the one's hanging from the plant at the moment are mildly damaged

o

who was the seller? what kind is it.

o

hirts garden, it was selling as N. velvet but it's more along the lines of a N maxima x ? :(

o

That is definatley not nepenthes velvet.
It looks like N. miranda.
Good luck.
Adrian

o

no way is that velvet. yeah maxima hybrid maybe. truncata hybrid maybe? cool plant.

o

open_window_maniac, i think iv found your plant! nepenthes marbled dragon!

o

oh by the way, look up at the first picture on this post. that looks alot like your plant! maybe you could ask them what theirs is.

o

i think it's the same as mine

o

First pic in thread is N X Mixta. I recently got alot of neps from Sarracenia Northwest: N. Ceaser N. Truncata Highland N. Sanguina blood red form N. Alata X Merriliana. I just have to find that darned camera now.

o

U GOT N.CAESAR???!! thats awsome!! oh, i spoke with sarracenia northwest and they said that the guy who developed nepenthes caesar has agreed to reduce prices in return for more sales!

o

any one have pix of n. hamata and n. ventricosa?

o

Finally found that camera! Here are the pics.

N. Ceasar

N. Truncata

N. Alata X Merriliana

N. Sanguina

I also have that much bigger N X Mixta but im to lazy to post the pics of that right now. :P If you really want to see it you can probly find some pictures of it here on the forum. :D

o

N. Caesar lots like N.alata

o

Really? I didn't think it looked like alata at all.

I think it actually looks like truncata with spots and a hint of rajah. Especially on the lid.

o

thats a pretty small ceasar. looks cool though. how big would you say the pitchers are?

o

Its from sarracenia northwest and it about 2 years old and the pitchers measure abut 3 inches give or take some i guess. Pretty big for 2 years i think. They shoudl be huge when mature :D

o

yep they get big.

o

can anybody get pictures of an upclose flying insects eyeview of a nepenthes ventrata pitcher?

o

• Posted by nycti 9 (land of the oven) (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 10:50

First attempt at posting pics here, first attempt at Nepenthes to. This one was rescued from Home Depot in July. Is this a N. venticosa?

Happy Holidays,
Nycti

o

anyone have a n. ventricosa "k"?

o

looks like n. ventricosa. the pic is not very clear.

o

i received N.ventrata from home depot, so it's safe to say ur plant is the ventrata

o

really? i dont think so. i have a large ventrata that i just got in the mail. it seems to still produce immature lower pitchers. they look nothing like that. it would be easier to tell if you got a better pic.

o

by the way, organic_trickster what plant is that in your post. the one that looked a bit like n. ventrata but had whiter pailer pitchers?

o

• Posted by nycti 9 (land of the oven) (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 2, 07 at 13:27

I don't have a new digital and am using my phone camera. This pic is a little closer, still blurry, but the best I can do for now.

Happy Holidays,
Nycti

o

still hard to tell but it is not ventricosa which would probably mean its ventrata.

o

actually, could be ventricosa. anyone have some nice pictures of nepenthes rajah?

o

Hi Nepenthes Ceasar. You're right, it's a ventrata. It's probably my camera that makes the pitchers look white. When I bought it 14 months ago it had 6 large pitchers, which it lost due to low humidity & shock over a month. It then refused to pitcher for about 6 months.

As you can see the pitchers are on the small side, especially when compared to how big they were when I purchased it. Maybe I should be pruning it, instead of letting it grow wild? I'm a bit of a newbie with the care of pitchers, even though I have a minature Lowli and a sanguina, which seem to grow a lot easier than the ventrata.

I brought it inside since the cold weather started and it looks like it stopped producing pitchers again!

Have you had any luck trying to source any neps you've been after? I see posts from you all the time on this forum.

o

here's my ventrata, it grew alot ever since i got it in july

o

ok thank for the pic. that is definatly where i want my ventrata to be. it has some brown leaves. it is still getting over shipping shock. can anyone post pix of n. ventrata upper pitchers? i cant seem to find many pix of them. organic_trickster, i would try pruning it. i have heard that that helps. while you prune, you can also take cuttings. good growing to all!

o

Hi there, just asking to inquire about where you purchased your plants and what is the growing media for you neps. Interested to find out.

o

I received N.ventrata from home depot, i got n.rafflesiana from www.bugbitingplants.com(2+ months after and it is still in shock), and i got my n.mirdana(i think that's how it's spelled) on ebay. i use grounded up coconut husk as a growing medium. i'm not sure if it's the best thing, but my neps seem to be doing fine so far.

o

Hunterkiller,

I got my Nepenthes sanguinea at cobraplant.com, planted it in 1/3 coconut husk / 1/3 peat moss / 1/3 orchid bark, and it suffered no shipping shock, continuously pitchering through the past year. It started with 2 inch pitchers and now produces 6 inch pitchers. I grow it open pot indoors in moderate humidity South Texas.

o

suprise suprise, my sanguinea is now pitchering at an unbeleivable rate, already has a pitcher that is almost complete, then another pitcher that is getting close, i mean, the leaf this pitcher is on has only been open for a few days. then the leaf stalk is growing at an unbelevable rate, it has tripled in size since the other leaf opened.

o

anyone who has any nepenthes purchased from california carnivores via mail order, could you post a pic of what the plant looked when it came, and what it looked a few weeks later?

o

my nepenthes sanguinea is growing like crazy. too bad i cant post pics. anyway, why do i seem to be the only one posting on this thread? lol

o

Any more pictures?

o

Here's my sanguinea and the worlds smallest Lowii. Well, the smallest I've ever purchased. You should have seen the size of the box it came in, sadly I was kinda disappointed. ;-(

o

Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 0:24

LOL i feel sorry for you and your Lowii. I have an Ephippiata(very close ties to Lowii) which grows very slowly, but even it is supposed to grow faster than Lowii. Just stick it in the back of your collection and wait a year or two before looking at it again.

BTW, I've heard that keeping a nepenthes standing in water is bad.

o

My Truncata, that pitcher is around 8 inches tall.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

o

Hi drwurm. I'm learning by my mistakes. Definitely do not buy from wistuba.com. Fantastic pictures to draw you in and then the sting. They're based in Germany and as there are very few carnivorous plant sites in the UK we have to try Europe.

I was almost brought to tears when I opened the box, it was smaller than it is in the pic. Donations are welcome. LOL.

My neps are sitting in a bed of spag moss. I thought I'd grow it around my neps to increase what little amount I had and to increase humidity. It's more of an experiment, so far they have both been okay and not rotted.

More pics peeps?

o

Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 16:53

huh. I've been to that site a few times, it's pretty well put together. Guess that doesn't mean great plants.

o

Yeah, it is. You should check out their gallery. Trips to Borneo, Sumatra & such likes have been funded by suckers like me. The same applies to Nepenti.nl who have a great looking site & used to trade on e-bay. They supplied me with a flytrap even smaller than the lowii!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here