Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antechron

Are you confused there buddy?

antechron
16 years ago

Ok, usually when I buy VFTs it is in the spring or summer but occasionally I will buy one in the fall. This time I got one maybe 6-8 weeks ago. As usual I tried to restore the plant to health before send it into dormancy, when it looked happy about 3ish weeks ago, (mind by healthy I mean it was producing many leaves, even what looked to be some of the tall spring variety, and it was a dark green) I began dropping the photoperiod and then I began putting it outside for some cold temperature. Night here is now around 30-35 degrees. As usual, I was trying to forget about the plants until it is too cold for them outside. This time, concerned I had started the new VFT into dormancy a bit quickly, I went out to take a look at it. It now has a flower stalk about 3/4 an inch high... Sigh.

Anyway, I moved the poor confused little thing back inside and, since it looks reasonably healthy, I am planning to let it flower. I suppose the care given to at the store was so bad it thought it was in dormancy...? I am wondering whether I should start it into dormancy right after it is done flowering or just wait until next fall? Or half way through summer? Do VFTs self pollinate very well? I usually let the bees do that but... I guess, what can I do to help it get pollinated?

PS. Mutant Hybrid, you recomend Neem Oil, and I was wondering if it is fine to use on seeds or if it is able to smother them?

Thanks everyone.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus