Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few Nepenthes questions

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 19:10

Hi

I have had my Nepenthes plant for about 2-3 months. It started out as two 4 inch tall stalks. Now, just that amount of time later, there are WAY, WAY, WAAAAYYYY, more stalks. I can't even count them all, it's so THICK! Every 2 weeks I check on it, there are at LEAST 1 to 3 new suckers! I'm telling you, it's growing like a friggen weed! One of the main stalks is even branching out(Currently with two official growing points). The other main stalk tried to branch but one of the growing points dried up. Oh well. Regardless, I think it really REALLY loves me and it's location. So, here're my questions:

1)How fast is the average speed that these plants grow?
2)What is the mature height of the Nepenthes?
3)How do I control/propagate this plant?
4)What is the lifespan of these plants?

Thanks for any help. I had never seen a plant this happy with the indoor conditions I have to offer. It's by far, the FASTEST plant I have EVER grown. I am SO proud of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few Nepenthes questions

PS. The plant is Nepenthes Alata. I have never said that in any of my posts about this plant, so now I'm finally saying it.

o

When the plant is too tall for YOU or your space just trim it below where a leaf is. If the trimmed part has 3-4 leaves you can propagate the cutting into a new pot and grow a new plant! These plants VINE and will grow as tall as you have space for. Most houses have 8 foot ceilings, this determines the height of your plant.

o

One thing everyone seems to fail to mention is if you keep it indoors don't forget to feed it / LOL
Flies spiders moths roaches crickets whatever is crawling around
Just No Meat i.e. hamburger

o

You don't need to feed it bugs. No carnivorous plant needs to be fed. They get most of their food from light. Bugs are like desert. Feed a 1/4 strength fertilizer every 2 weeks in the spring to get the plant pitchering.

o

I beg to differ tommyr's reply 100% & then some

But will refrain from arguing with you
Because Arguing On The Internet Is Like Running In The Special Olympics ~ Win Or Lose You're Still Retarded

But I've been growing CPs for well over 10 years
http://community.webshots.com/user/EvilGardenGnome
And
CPs receive the nutrients they need to survive by digesting insects via digestive enzymes produced by the plant
If that wasn't a fact / They wouldn't be Carnivorous Plants

All I Have To Say Is Do Your "Research"

PEACH...

o

Indeed! Do your research! You do not need to feed them. If your plants are outside where most CPs belong there is NO NEED to feed them. Even inside they will occasionally get bugs now and then. MOST of their food comes from the Sun or bright, indirect light.

o

Reread the og post "with the indoor conditions"

Post a "Reliable" like that states that Neps get
MOST of their food comes from the Sun or bright light
And
I will consed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here