Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch and CP's

Posted by lostbutlooking (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 19:25

Hi all
I have my VFT's and I Sarracenia outside in a new bog garden. It is starting to get cold at night, we may be down to freezing this week, what can I mulch these plants with? Straw, Leaves, bark?? Any and all advice dearly welcomed. I am in zone 9 if that helps we very seldom ever get any snow and the days are getting into the high to mid sixities.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch and CP's

Sphagnum peat, as in the big bags of it from Home Depot or Lowes, is what to use. Also pine needles.

o

Thanks I do have pine needles and the peat moss and it is definatly freezing here. I used leaves the first night and so far okay, will change them out for your recomendations.
Thanks again

o

Fortunately or unfortunately, there are several ways of approaching dormancy for Sarracenias, VFT's and the like, depending upon where one lives and what they have don't have available to them. For instance, 2 years ago we didn't have an attic and my VFT's were tried out in a variety of locations, including between the storm and inner kitchen (not cold enough)windows, as well as the screened porch (where they froze), and eventually in the refrigerator's butter keeper (as was). Last year we moved to Buffalo, NY and I toted my minibog buckets to the attic, keeping them by the SW window. The plants went to sleep and then began waking up in late February. That's my experience. Others also have greenhouses at their disposal. Whatever works for you, that provides seasonally reduced light, near freezing temps, and reduced watering - that's what you want to do.

Here's an example of the minibogs, just after bringing them outside, following dormancy:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 11:57

Zone 9? You do realize that these plants are native to the the Southern US and Carolina coast? What flavor of Sar do you have? S. purpurea ssp. p is native from NJ North up into Canada. Neither flytraps nor sars should need any mulch in zone 9.

o

In zone 9. I wouldn't bother mulching vfts and Sarracenias. If your days are above freezing, I'd think that the mulch would just prevent air movement and encourage rot. I'm in zone 7, and I never mulch. The VFT and Sarracenias are perfectly hardy in temperatures above 20 F, and I haven't had any problems even when temps drop to 10-15 F for a few hours.

o

How about mulching a Drosera Capensis..sundew in a zone 8 or 9?

o

I tried it here, zone 8a-8b, but it froze anyway...so,flytraps and sarracenias only, for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here