Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmm889

simple drosera question

cmm889
16 years ago

I have 3 species of drosera currently I have 1 lanata, 1 spatulata, 1 I think albino capensis and I'm just wondering as far as the flowering goes.... are these plants that I should let flower? since growing them from seed isnt hard or a long process... I may consider it are these drosera types self pollinating? or should I just cut the flower stalk and save the plant the energy... becuase thats obviously what I do with my VFT's

Comments (7)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Hi cmm889,
    The answer is simple:
    Let them flower, it does'nt take much energy with sundew.
    Good luck,
    Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

D. spatulata and D. capensis self-pollinate and can produce hundreds to thousands of seeds. They require less light than Venus Flytraps and are tropicals, so flowering is not a problem for them. Venus Flytraps can flower just fine if they receive enough light to power their reproductive attempts, they do so in nature all the time with no problem.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

And D. lanata is more challenging than the other to. It needs to be in warmer than room temp environs (90-ish), with more light. I just received one and have it in a water bath, with a fluoresecnt light over it, by a south window sill. It is still recovering from shipping shock.

{{gwi:551219}}

• cmm889
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well my lanata I've had for about 2 months and its done fairly well when I got it, it lacked coloration at all with the exception of some slight orange on the tips when now its a deep red and its just recently begun putting out a flower and so thats why I was asking becuase I'm sitting here debating about it and cant really find a good source of information on them... so how would the temperature difference affect it since I definetly dont have that requirement met... I'm running 2 2000 lumen compact fluorescent bulbs about 8-10 inches about all of my plants and everything has been getting good coloration including my vft's with the exception of my d. cape and I dont know if thats becuase I havnt had it long enough or whether I got an albino

• cmm889
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I'd like to have both my D lanata and D spat flower and produce seed so that I could attempt some from seed which I've never done so I dont really know much about the process of the reproduction of these plants... the d lanata stalk is just starting and the d spat flower stalk was there when I bought it a couple weeks ago so I'm not really sure what I should be doing to aid this or assist in order to have this work correctly...

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

It sounds like your plants are adapted to the conditions provided and "if it aint broke, don't fix it" is the way to go. The spatulata will self pollinate, but for the lanata you would need another plant to exchange plant parts for germination. I have the same thing going on - both species with flower stalks.

You could try taking a leaf cutting from the lanata and attempt sprouting plants from the leaf (or leaves). For that you would need to carefully pull a leaf from the stem and place in slightly moist soil, in a sealed baggie, with a light source. And then pretty much wait it out for a few weeks or so. I haven't tried that with a Petiolaris plant yet, but that's a standard way of approaching it.

I have had my D. paradoxa produce baby plants from the roots, so that's another possibility.

• cmm889
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I assume that this would be like the VFT's and you would need to make sure theres some of the rhizome correct? the lanata's are such smaller plants than vft's I just dont want to annihilate it for some novice reason haha

Sponsored