Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvannote

To Many Sarracenia'Judith Hindle'

lvannote
18 years ago

I have been too successful with my pitcher plants this summer and I have a lot of Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle and Scarlet Bells' . I would love to trade these for other Sarracenia. I also have enough pupurea.

Comments (12)

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I don't have anything to trade but would buy a purpurea. I put a post on the "exchanges" about wanting to buy any CPs but haven't gotten any response.

• clay_in_iowa
    18 years ago

I have some Judith Hindle I'll trade ya .... LOL

I too was very successfrul this year. I stareted with one 2 years ago and now have 12 or 14. I plan to put them all in a large pot next year for a really nice show.

• necro1234
    18 years ago

How did you guys propegate them so well, via seed or did you split the bulbs?

Thanx

Sheldon

• clay_in_iowa
    18 years ago

Sheldon,

I stuck mine in a pot and just let it go. Nothing special. I just let it go. Side shoots galor. 3 or 4 the first year and 2 to 4 on each of those this year. Most of the soots are still attaches to the mother plant but several aren't. All have their own root systems so it would be easy to seperate them at this point. They just keep on spreading.

My VFTs do the same thing. I started with two 4 years ago and now I have 17 from budding and 12 from seed (still very small).

I also have a S. Purpurea that has 2 new shoots on it and I got it just this spring. And my 3 year old S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' has gone from one to 14 shoots.

I personally think some of the guys here mess with their plants way too much.

Plant them give them the conditions they want, and they will thrive. Hell I ignor my plants 99.99% of the time. All I do is stick them outside in full sun and check the water level once a week, that's all.

• necro1234
    18 years ago

thanx for the reply
    i was not aware that sarrencias spread this way via root.
    hoping ti get some far better action from mine after the winter.

cheers

sheldon

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I have just bought some and I have them in a pot outside. I am in Mississippi and the temps can reach freezing at times during the winter. I have heard that they will look like they are dying, and mine definitely look like that. The pitchers are drying out and turning brown and shriveling up. I am having to resist the temptation to bring them inside where it is warm. Am I doing the right thing by leaving them outside? Will they come back to life in the spring?

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Hey there Necro,
    Jest for your info.
    S. X Judith Hindle" is a complex cross made by Peter D'Amato and his business partner Merrillee Maertz at California Carnivores. Therefore it will not come true from seed.
    Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
    Lois

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Nice

Thanx for the info on that.
    Beutiful pitcher plant though, think it must be the favorite looker that I have out of my pitchers.

Cheers

Sheldon

• brandonabell_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I believe the information about the source of the Judith Hindle cross is incorrect. Mr. D'Amato told me this weekend that it was named after the wife of the gentleman in England who originally sent him the plant for cultivation.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Oh, wow, I picked one of these up this summer from CaliCarnivores, wonder if I should repot it in something bigger. It's got probably the biggest bulbs I have seen, but then again, it's the first really big Sarracenia I have. :D

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I would. Just remove the entire contents, as one unit, so as to minimize root disturbance, into a prepared pot. Show us a picture!

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Hm, about how big a pot should I be aiming for, if I want to get it to spread out a bit? Right now it's in a 6" saucer with quite a bit of room, the pot itself is 3 or 4" square I think?

I've always wanted to set up a great big pot outside with a VFT/Sundew/Pitcher all growing together -- a Mini bog or somesuch, but I'd be worried about finding some way to move it indoors or keep it from freezing solid during the winter here in Idaho.

Sponsored