Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encouraging new Pitchers for beginner...

Posted by Vesper13 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 20:27

Hello,
I am new to the site as well as to the world of Pitcher Plants! I fell in love with one at a greenhouse this past summer but was only given simple/basic instructions at best. The plant at time of purchase was full of gorgeous green leaves and had at least 10-15 tendrils/pitchers lavishly hanging down. All was well with my beauty until a recent move. While relocating into a new house I left my Pitcher Plant on a table by a bright sunny window overnight until I could affix it's hanger in the window. During the night my pet house rabbit nibbled at and ate all the pitchers! The rabbit is fine, Pitcher Plants pose no danger to rabbits. My problem is this about 2 months has passed and I have no idea how to encourage new pitchers to form. I have her now hanging in a lovely window where she gets great sun throughout the day. We have steam radiator's so there is humidity in the air and it is generally at about 68 degrees. I mist around her every-other day or so, keep her soil moist with collected rain water or melted snow. I have fantastic green leaves growing and TONS of new leaf-growth spiraling up but see only 3 pitchers growing close to the soil. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encouraging new Pitchers for beginner...

Tommyr, a participant here on our forums, and a cp expert, offered this advice in another thread:

Don't worry about humidity, they're pretty adaptable. For mold/fungus use a SULFUR based fungicide.

How long do te pitchers last?

Never timed mine out but at least a month I think.

Do these plants produce pitchers year round?
No. They stop in fall/winter for the most part.

How can I encourage it to veep producing pitchers as the old ones die?
In late winter/early spring spray them with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer every 2 weeks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here