Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Sarracenia.....

Posted by drwurm 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 20:31

So, i found these little sarracenia at a nursery the other day, and decided to save them from inevitable death. I took some pictures with my lame camera phone, hopefully they can give some impression. The first pic is next to a 6 inch ruler.

They're all green at the top, possibly because the gods made them that way, or because they were growing in no sun.... Anyway, as you can see, they're growing pretty densely, the stems/leaves/pitchers are red close to the rhizome, and the openings to the pitchers are more ovalesque than circular.
Got any wagers on what these might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Sarracenia.....

Where did you buy it?
It looks very much like a S. Rubra.
Good luck,
Adrian

o
RE: pitcher plant

Also,
try to get a clearer pic,
it's hard to see what it is.
- Adrian

o

Unfortunately, until I raise the money for one of those newfangled electric picture takers, I'm stuck with my terrible quality camera phone. Me buying new plants on impulse is not helping my fund......

I got it from an Armstrong Garden Center. Just a chain of nurseries in california. here's the site, but it probably wont do much good. http://www.armstronggardens.com/

o

Really tough to tell from the photos. Carnivorousplant's vote for S. rubra sounds like a very good candidate. Could be others too though, or a hybrid. You obviously have the best view, so here's a link... scroll down to the Sarrencia and start scrolling through the varieties to see if there's a match. Your plant is obviously still a juvenile, so don't pay too much attention to the size listings as those are for mature plants. Report back if you find a match!
-Don

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5000.html

o

I agree, it does looks like S. rubra more then anything else. Mostly because of its arrow shape hoods.

o

Rubra does look the most similar, of course, that's a species with a lot of variations. Though, according to The Savage Garden, it's usually the canebrake sweet pitcher. So I guess I'll keep watching it, Thanks for the input, I might have to do this again some time. The CPs this place sells are always generically marked with these dumb information cards that just list the genus. The capensis I purchased from there was selling as an "Octopus Plant."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here