Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growerofrajah

Can anyone post a pic of a bog garden?

growerofrajah
16 years ago

I really would like to see and above ground one and one that is placed in the ground.

Comments (10)

• fredsbog
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my bog. this is a couple of years old and unfortunately the cranberries have taken over and a lot of the smaller plants have been overtaken. I have put in a new bog but have not taken photos of it yet as it is not established (takes 3 or 4 years for the bog to look it's best)
    {{gwi:569172}}

This is a photo of a Friends bog. Tom currently lives outside the U.S. and grows his plants is small "pot" type bog gardens.
    {{gwi:569174}}

Both methods of bog gardening are quite rewarding and atractive.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Both are really nice bogs.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Here's a simple one, in a bucket:

{{gwi:569175}}

{{gwi:569176}}

• growerofrajah
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok then, so if i wanted to make a above the ground one i should put it in a bowl?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

The larger the better. More stable. A whiskey barrel is what some people use.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

You could use almost any container for a bog. Small plastic black ponds like are sold in Lowes for instance, buckets, dishwashing tubs, etc., it all depends how big you want to make it. The sky's the limit really.

• agentrdy
    16 years ago

You can also just dig a big hole in the ground, line it with waterproof pond liner, fill it with medium, and there you go. Virtually anything of any size that holds water will work, although bigger is better. It survives temperature fluctuations, drying out, root growth, better simulation of a natural bog, etc.

• scott361
    16 years ago

If this thread is still open, here are a few photos of my Darlingtonia bog.
    {{gwi:569177}}
    {{gwi:566355}}
    It's just a simple plastic pool with multiple drainage holes drilled into the lower side.
    I have a mixture of my local acidic soil, NZ sphagnum and LECA pellets.
    Hidden behind the bark section, is just a basic bucket drilled w/holes to slowly leach water or ice melt into the roots!
    As my water is virtually perfect, I usually just stick the hose in the bucket on hot days to trickle.
    I used to freeze water in a one size smaller bucket and just pop it out like a large ice cube.
    It fit perfectly into the larger one and would slowly melt on 100F days.

As everything is dormant, right now, I won't have to do anything with it until spring.
    That will just be weeding out unwanted grass seeds and overgrown ephemerals.
    I bought a 700 gal pool to move it all into, but I haven't decided where it should go yet.
    So...
    Everything is on hold until spring! ;~)

Scott

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Scott
    That's a very nice setup. Is it difficut to maintain ,weedwise?? My marsh gardens get so overrun with weeds I keep them small so they're easy to redo.
    Have a weed type here that forms a solid mat with runners .No pulling as it will pull all the media out lol
    So I keep them small and just redo them every spring.
    Those that can tolerate it I just submerge in water during winter this gives me a year or two more.
    gary

• scott361
    16 years ago

I'll tolerate a certain amount of 'weeds'.
    It really depends upon what they are and how dominant they want to be.
    I was hesitant to pull much until I remembered that the whole thing is really for the Darlingtonia's and everything else came second.
    After that, pulling stuff out became easier to do.
    Many of the ephemerals I encourage, like this mixture of ferns, mosses, grasses and Dodecatheon.
    The grasses help to provide shade during summer and the others just give contrast and depth to the setup.
    {{gwi:569179}}
    I've had certain grasses and tree seedlings try to set up shop.
    They have to be dug out early on. The roots can really be tenacious.
    It freezes solid for a lot of the winter, but with the rainstorm that's curently here, it's fully wet.
    I really need to move to the larger tub, before the next growth cycle.
    The runners are trying to spread out through the drainage holes.

This is what I'm aiming for! :~)
    {{gwi:569181}}
    {{gwi:569183}}
    I've tried to encourage a more natural look about it and not fuss over minor detail that much.
    At least, after everything was in place where I wanted it! ;~)
    Scott

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm