Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocrates

Sarccenia Pitcher Troubles

chocrates
16 years ago

ive had my pitcher plant for a few years now, a leucophylia if i remember correctly

the trouble is it never grows leaves that open or even have any coloring other than green

when i got it, it had nice full pitchers until i put it into dormancy, then the next year the pitchers would grow but they wouldn't open up, they would stay flat like regular leaves

anyone know why this could be happening?

i lived in central oregon for the past few years where it is high desert so its not humid at all

i just moved to the valley where its very humid

think this will solve my problems?

if i can get ahold of a camera i will try and post a pic of one of the leaves

thanks

Comments (5)

• fredsbog
    16 years ago

There was a recent article I read in a science mag. that stated, if the pitcher plants received too much nitrogen in the water or as fertilizer that the pitchers would revert to flatter greener leaves and not produce "normal" pitchers.

Check your water (should be rain or distilled) and your growing media to be certain neither is contaminated with nutrients. In the case of Sarracenia humidity is beneficial but not essential for pitcher production.

• chocrates
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well i use store bought distilled water, but how do i check my growing media, i assume you mean the soil its in

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello Chocrates,

Fredsbog does have a valid point, however; I would also want to check the light levels your plant is receiving. If it is getting full sun, then it likely is the nitrogen levels in the plant's environment. If the photoperiod is too short, less than 8, and the plant is not receiveing full sun outside, it may need more light of more intense and longer photoperiod.. particularly if the plant never develops coloration.

If you can rule light problems out, then you can take care of the nitrogen problem by repotting the plant in fresh peat moss and perlite or silica sand in a 50/50 mix of peat moss to whichever drainage medium you choose. Make sure the moss comes in a large 1-2 foot dried, cubic bale wrapped in plastic. Often, the small bags of moss and perlite found in stores are fertilized, which could just kill the plant altogether. Since we are back to winter again, it will be a moot point to try anything right now with the plant until it is close to spring next year. Repot it just as spring is about to arrive and the plant should revive and grow normally if it gets enough light.

Humidity is not a big concern with Sarracenias. A carnivorous plant nursery called Sarracenia Northwest grows all their Sarracenias outdoors in Oregon weather year round with good results.

• chocrates
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok i think it must be the light then
    its been grown on windowsills with poor light for two years, and i know i potted it in the right soil mixture so the only contamination would have gotten in some other way
    i guess ill have to get a grow light
    thanks for the help

• dnieter
    16 years ago

OH yeah, that is WAYYY to little light.
    I'm curious...why grow on a windowsill when they prefer to grow outside?