Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglspy

new cobra lily, what now?

junglspy
17 years ago

i just bought a cobra lily darlingtonia californica from lowes in one of those small plastic cubes. my questions are, should i leave it in the cube? for how long? should i wait till spring to repot? should i put it outside alongside my vfts and sarracenias so it can go into dormacy, or should i keep it inside with my sundew? i'd really like to keep inside for at least a little while. i've read that the root system needs to stay cool, what's a good way to do this? i was thinking if i keep it inside, i could put an ice cube(distilled water) on top of the moss and let it melt. would this be a bad idea? or should i just flush it with water all the time? also, can i put it in a terrerium? since it came in one, it seems like i could put it in a bigger one and it would be fine. sorry for all these questions. any info would be helpful!

Comments (4)

• darlingplants
    17 years ago

I bought two of these from home depot at the same time probably just like the one you got just now. I wouldn't leave it in the cube. It will probably get moldy/slimy very quickly.

As for repotting, you want to do that sometime in late dec/early jan. You could even do it now if you really wanted to as their growing season is over. Whenever you repot, remove the plant but keep the soil its in(probably pure sphagnum) intact. Basically, don't mess with the roots by trying to remove the old medium. This will also help make a smooth transition for the plant. Get a pot and fill with 50/50 sphagnum and perlite, and put in the plant.

I would put it outside. They are very hardy and used to the cold. I don't think they do well indoors.

As for the cooling of the roots. that is for summertime only. I don't imagine those roots are going cook this time of the year.

No go for the terrarium. Put it outside. It doesn't need or want to be all stuffy.

Flsuh it every once in a while, but it can stand in water alongside your vfts and sarracenias for days and it won't die or anything. Mine has been just sitting in a water try for months and is flourishing(I do live in CA) and I never flsuh it. Rain does some flushing naturally of course.

Good luck,

Me

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I bought one in August of last year. After much forum discussion, it was suggested that I repot it and have that drained pot be suspended on the edge of the Lowes cube. I had it inside, by a window, and watered a few times a week. When the inside and outside temps were more congruous, I plaved the plant outside. When November came I moved it to the cold attic, where it went dormant. It began waking up in March and in April I placed it outside, where it got ravaged by critters!

I do have a friend who keeps his right at the window sill. It does well for him. This can be an enigmatic plant!

• catgirlmars
    17 years ago

hi i live in ma and i bought a cobra lily and a fly trap in the infamous lowe's cubes about 3 months ago. the cobra lily started to turn brown and die, not all but a few of the shoots, i don't know if it's going into dormancy or what, it does have some new growth. i also noticed some green fungus on itso i thought i should leave the top off for some air circulation, but i thought they needed the humidity. i'm not sure what to do, i bought one online before and it died within two weeks, i love the plant and don't want this to happen again. i'm sorry, one more question; my fly trap is doing well, but a few of the shoots have opened up to the point that it seems they are unable to close. should i snip these off? i have removed some of the digested flies when it reopens and i am wondering if this is the reason. i apologize for the length and appreciate any help.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Catgirlmars: It is not unusual for existing leaves of a plant to die. That's largely due to buying a neglected garden center plant and placing it in a significantly (to that plant) different set of conditions - humidity temperature,... Sometimes the plants are strong enough to survive and then one can look toward new growth. Sometimes it was just enough to set them over the edge. How are you growing the cobra lily and VFT? Are they outside or inside? On window sill or in a terrarium or under an artificial light? Air circulation is very important. And so is adequate lighting, but after an acclimation process, as to much light too soon can shock them. VFT's & cobar lilys DO require a dormancy, but when purchased at this time of year, many people forgo that process. I would snip off any dead plant tissue. High humidity is an overrated concept. Good drainage, air circulation, and adequate lighting are far more important.