Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

A zillion drosera seedlings

ltecato
14 years ago

Last summer, I cut the mostly-dry flower tops off of my Drosera plants. I have three species: binata, capensis and a pygmy species that grows in clumps that I neglected to label.

I put the seeds in paper envelopes and stored them in a cardboard box until about a month ago. I was going to put them in separate containers, but being lazy and not expecting them to sprout, I just threw the contents of all three envelopes into one shallow plastic dish full of peat and covered it with a clear plastic top.

When the surface of the peat started turning green, I thought it was just algae or sphagnum spores coming to life, but now I can see I've got a wall-to-wall carpet of drosera seedlings in there, about 10-12 square inches worth. The plants are still so small that you can barely make out the tiny little petioles and traps.

So two questions: Since I've never grown drosera from seed, I'm wondering what's the best way to grow these micro-plants into adults. Secondly, would it be impossible to sell the adults if I don't know which species are the "parents"?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz