Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drwurm

The great big picture thread!

drwurm
16 years ago

Alright, I'd be lying if i told you this wasn't a shameless plug of both my collection and my new Black Friday digital camera. But you guys can plug your stuff too! Sorry for those of you with slow internet....

Emerging Ping. Moranensis flower

{{gwi:569248}}

D. Capensis Flower

{{gwi:569249}}

Rice grain sized Ephippiata pitcher

{{gwi:569250}}

Indoors D. Capensis

{{gwi:569251}}

D. Binata still emerging from shipping dormancy

{{gwi:569253}}

Ping. Moranensis

{{gwi:569255}}

N. Ephippiata

{{gwi:569257}}

Indoor plants panorama

{{gwi:569259}}

S. Flava

{{gwi:569261}}

Dionea growing with D. Capensis

{{gwi:569264}}

S. alata x minor

{{gwi:569267}}

Outdoors D. Capensis

{{gwi:569268}}

D. Capensis with Dionea

{{gwi:569269}}

Comments (10)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Nice photos!

• drwurm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, here are some more i took this morning. I hosted these at imageshack so the resolution is better.

D. Adelae root plantlet
    {{gwi:569270}}
    D. Filiformis ssp. tracyi emerging from shipping dormancy, but will probably go dormant again.
    {{gwi:569271}}
    Dionaea
    {{gwi:569272}}
    Dionaea
    {{gwi:569273}}
    I believe these are S. rubra ssp. rubra but i'm not positive. The picture is deceiving, they're only about 5-6 inches tall.
    {{gwi:569274}}

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

cute little n. ephipiata.

• drwurm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of my "mammoth" ephippiata pitcher. Been growing for weeks now, still hasn't opened.
    {{gwi:569275}}
    Another pic of S. alata x minor
    {{gwi:569276}}

I'd like some help on this one, it's some kind of mexican ping I believe. From what I've seen, I think it's some type of moranensis. But I'm not sure, any IDs would be appreciated

{{gwi:569277}}

And the flower, not sure if it's going to open any more

{{gwi:569278}}

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

Here's my butterwort
    {{gwi:569279}}
    {{gwi:569280}}
    {{gwi:569281}}

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Hi there, seeing your great pics.

This is for "open_window_maniac" & "drwurm", the unidentified pin you guys got is Pinguicula X ÂTitanÂ, a hybrid between P. macrophylla and P. agnata. As far as I know,itÂs currently sold by Booman Floral of Vista, California as "Starfish Plant" and is sold by Lowes or Home Depot.

The plant is identifiable by its wide big heart shape leaves and by the shape of its flowers that has round dark violate flowers with a bluish ting. These are the flowers of my plant.
    {{gwi:569282}}
    {{gwi:569283}}
    {{gwi:569284}}

Now this are my plants growing in my room. My collection of VFT, tropical sundews, pygmy sundews, bladderworts, neps, and butterworts. All growing in my room on low humidity. I grow my plants tough!
    {{gwi:567370}}
    {{gwi:547578}}
    {{gwi:547579}}
    {{gwi:547580}}

• drwurm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ID although, *the other major CP forum site that cannot be posted here* anwered me before you did :D .

Man, I wish I had that many plants to grow in my room. As it is, i can literally spend hours gazing from my bed at my plants. At first the 4 foot fluorescent light fixture was a bit weird, but it's grown on me (ha, pun intended).

Here's an update on my forked sundews, perhaps showing that they're not just boring T-forms after all (I bought them as "Binata Mixed Forms" from Cook's)
    {{gwi:569285}}
    And a fly is gripped in the jaws of a superior organism
    {{gwi:569286}}

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

P. X 'Titan' is a big plant and easy to grow. This fellow of mine has been throwing out flowers one after another, the flowers can last about 2 to 3 weeks and the plant will have up to 3 flowers blooming. It interesting to see the color of the flowers turn from dark violate to purplish light color with a bluish tinge. As you can see from the top pic and as it progressed on the last 2.

I definitely do spend hours gazing at my plants; friends and family think IÂm a nut just staring them. It just fascinates me the knowledge that this plants are predators Âhunting there insects prey. Hey, its easy to keep in a room, I just put them on a tray with water and use 4 of those compact fluorescent light you can purchase anywhere for $10 and $12 dollars, but make sure IÂm using those that is "true light" of at least 2000 lumens.

Very simple set-up but is working just fine for me. But make sure to harden your plants first!

Cheers!

• drwurm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My room plants have been doing pretty well too. I didn't notic the color change of the titan until i was looking through some old pictures today, the difference is stunning.

Anyway, I just learned an awesome way to take better macro pictures with my cheap camera. Pictures ensue :

{{gwi:569287}}

{{gwi:569288}}

{{gwi:569289}}

D. Adelae root plant

{{gwi:569290}}

N. Ephippiata. That same immature pitcher. Very slow growth.

{{gwi:569291}}

• drwurm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

New plants came today

I like the low light on the Pings.

P. Cyclosecta
    {{gwi:569292}}

P. Esseriana
    {{gwi:569293}}

P. Rotundiflora
    {{gwi:569294}}

P. Agnata
    {{gwi:569295}}

N. Sanguinea Orange
    {{gwi:569298}}

D. M. Akai Ryu
    {{gwi:569301}}

I got all these plants from flytrapshop.com and they arrived in great condition.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus