Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming Butterwort

Posted by jenion 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 21:39

I bought this butterwort in a deathcube from Lowes - it was on clearance for 49 cents. I didn't know much about these, so after I got it acclimated to my yard, I put it in the bog with the pitchers. It has thrived and even just bloomed! I don't know what its chances are through the winter. We'll see.

From Blooming Butterwort

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming Butterwort

That may be a P. primuliflora. I had one for a while but couldn't keep it alive. Yours looks very healthy. I believe they go dormant in winter. Very nice plant.

o

That is indeed a P. primuliflora. They don't go dormant. They can be enigmatic, but seem to do well at a window sill or under artificial lighting.

Mine is currently blooming:

P. primuliflora

P. primuliflora

o

Nice happy plant, but I don't see any hint of rose or light purplish color. Matter-of-fact, the flowers of your ping looks quite white in all the photos from your site.

I'm betting its more likely Pinguicula ionatha. But I can be wrong... and the pink color doesn't show.

o

I have had P. primuliflora bloom white and turn that light iris purple color later on in the week. I, too, thought I had an ionatha, but was disappointed.

o

Hey petiolaris...

On a side note: Kinda notice all these baby sundews... How are they doing & what species if you still have them.

o

Since my photo was taken, I've got another bloom - surprising!

o

My first plant sent up 8 scapes during the fall and winter. I never had anything closely resembling that since!

o

Does the butterwort also feed on insects? From the pictures taken I can't see how they feed.

o

Yes they are carnivorous. Their leaves have dew.

o

HunterKiller: I have several pots of germinated sundews. I don't know what they are right now. My best guess is D. capillaris.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here