Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melenkolee

Fleas. Gah!

melenkolee
14 years ago

So I found one flea on one of my 3 dogs tonight, and have treated them and the cat with frontline. However, the cat is allergic to fleas (his fur falls out, not pretty) and I have to consider that i may have to bug bomb the house. Should I move the CPs out along with the breathing critters or can they handle the poison?

Mercy.

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I would MOVE them out.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

aye, cap'n. I was afraid that would be the answer. Cross your fingers the alternative cures do the trick and we don't have to resort to the nukes!!

• ltecato
    14 years ago

You might try less drastic measures. Salt sprinkled on the carpet will drive fleas right out of a room. You can also use boric acid powder, which also kills roaches.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the bomb is my last resort. Spent all day vacuuming, washing bedding and spraying Mycodex Plus on all the upholstery and carpets (vet recommended, works great). So far no more signs of the little buggers, and no signs of scratching or fleas on any of the critters, so I'll keep up the daily vacuuming and spraying for a couple weeks and keep my fingers crossed that it really was only one and I caught them soon enough to avoid an infestation. I always like to plan ahead for the worst case scenario though, lol...especially with my allergic cat. He's not pretty without his fur!

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I have 2 Persians and one is also allergic to fleas. She loses patches of fur when she gets them. I used to use Frontline but most fleas are immune to it now. I used Advantage 4 years ago and haven't had to treat my cats since. I still have the two left over applications. DE works well on anything with an exo-skeleton. I would definitely move the plants out to bomb.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cross your fingers I'm not jinxing things, but it looks like I've won the flea war without having to bomb. Found a 2nd flea on the same dog 2 days after the frontline dose (just one, and it looked newly hatched), so went into overkill mode. All animals got a dose of Capstar on saturday, along with a bath for all the dogs, and a haircut for the fleabag dog. They got a fresh dose of frontline last night, and I've been spraying Mycodex Plus daily on all upholstery and carpeting, as well as vacuuming. Carpets will be getting cleaned next weekend too. So far haven't seen more than 2 fleas, and the cat still has all his fur. Everyone else is clean, and no bites on humans (learned during the last attack that fleas think I'm pretty tasty too...)yay!

I did learn that my german/chow mix can gain about 25lbs simply by going limp. She is one heavy mama! It was too cold to bathe her outside, so I had to hoist her into the tub, and she was not pleased. Queen of passive resistance, that one...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022