Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nep question

Posted by fly_traper 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 18, 06 at 23:10

srry i have been offline for so long, my inter net is down
(i am using a relitives)
anyway, i was reading the savage garden (great book)and i thought of something. as a nepenthes grows along it's climbing stem will it still make lower pitchers when it gets high up, or will those no longer exist?

:-) chears, :-)
:-) chris :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nep question

Welcome again Chris.
Well the answer to your question is no. Once a plant starts producing higher pichers, that stem will never produce lower ones. Because each type of picher is adapted to capture certain types of prey. The upper ones are more colourfull to atract flying insects, and the lower ones usually have some kind of brushes to help the crawling and non-flying animals to climb in. But the good thing is that you can have both types of pichers on the same plant. How? Well, later the plant will begin to put out some shoots, and while these give lower pichers, the mother stem will continue to produce higher ones. In some species that takes a lot of time to reach the climbing phase (like N. rajah) the higher pichers are rare. On others (like N. lowii and N. eymae which are by far my favourites) the upper pichers are very exotic and have nothing to do in shape with lower ones. This is another thing that makes Nepenthes species even more interesting... =)

Michael

o
RE: nep question

ok thanks for the info. i rely apreceate it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here