Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hero81

My Venus Fly Trap (Pic Included)

hero81
16 years ago

Many people have requested to view a picture of my venus fly traps so I got a picture on my cellphone and sent it to my email.

So here's my picture of my Venus Fly Trap:

{{gwi:569598}}

Picture taken about 5 minutes prior to the posting of this message.

My best one, in fact. Growing under 2 energy saving bulbs of different sizes. I had it for about 2 months.

I would post other pictures if I wasn't so lazy.

But as you can see, the pot above the center (a little to the left) has a bunch of baby VFTs. It's awesome.

Comments (18)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    16 years ago

You have some great moss going with them, sweet.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Nice photo and VFT!

• chaderz911
    16 years ago

Very nice plant, where are you buying your plants at? I love the moss!

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Believe it or not, I bought only THREE pots of Venus Fly Traps from Home Depot. I repotted them and found out I have several million baby plants. I'll get a picture soon. All sorts of VFTs were planted into one little pot.
    And that's the story on how I got up to 6 pots (would have been more if I had another pot) of Venus Fly Traps.

And out of all the Baby Fly Traps, only ONE has died. All others are strong and eat fruit flies, ants, and mosquitos.

I don't know if it's possible but another baby fly trap looks like it died, but it is completely rebuilding it's self from seedling form.

It's exciting.

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok.. I got more pictures to post.
    All my plants. And you have my wonderful non-focusing cellphone to thank.

{{gwi:569599}}
    One baby-ish fly trap I planted by itself to see how great it will grow.

{{gwi:569600}}
    A bunch of babies and one semi-massive one to "defend" them.

{{gwi:569601}}
    Two venus fly traps that now both have split at the rute so that's really 4 plants you see there.

{{gwi:569602}}
    My most retarded plant in recovery. If you can see it, there's a leaf with two traps that are fused at the base.
    Oh, and I didn't put any effort to separate the plants. For all I know, that could be 5 plants right there.

{{gwi:569603}}
    Three more of my plants looking good.

{{gwi:569604}}
    And that completes my Venus Fly trap area of my place.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

cool!

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Hi hero81,

The exact same thing happened with one of my fly traps. It started off as a single spindly plant which I grew for a year. The following spring I decided to re-pot it as it had filled the pot, only to find about 30 individual bulbs which I painstakingly potted on. Just wished I'd of thought about taking some photos like you!

I gave quite a few away to friends who now have been bitten by the carnivorous plant bug. It's kind of how I started a couple of years ago when I spotted some small fly traps in Homebase (UK version of home depot). I killed both purchases within a couple of months by potting them in regular garden soil and watering them with tap water.

I've since learned from my mistakes but still have problems with drosera scorpodies, although I manage to get some gemmae from my last batch and have my fingers crossed that they will produce new plants.

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Confirmed Breed of VFT:
    Two of my VFTs that are in my "baby pot" are Red Line types.

I have no idea about the others.

• nycti
    16 years ago

Very nice. What a deal. Looks like a whole nursery full of baby VFTs. I agree with Brendan and Chaderz, I to love the moss. Is that sphagnum? Will you tell your secret to getting it to look so lush?

Happy Holidays,
    Nycti

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My baby traps rock. Everytime I see it, I discover another small plant and say "Wow, I don't remember putting that one in.."

I just think that's my memory slipping on me, haha.

I wish I had a secret. I just did the whole 50-50 with the sphagnum peat moss and sand with just a few small pieces of drying sphagnum. Maybe a little less sand then you tend to see in many pictures (I doubt you would ever see a VFT on the beach). Let the algea grow or something. Then springtails showed up and started eating the algea and before I knew it, moss sprouted.

I doubt that's anything of a technique. It was completely un-called for.

But yes, it's sphagnum. In a extreme small form. I don't know what to do if it gets too tall, so I guess I'm going to have to buy a tiny set of scissors to keep it nice.

But it's extremely fragile. gently glide your finger over the top of the moss and your finger is all green and green powder (the tiny leaves) fly everywhere. Usually landing in the water dish. And before I know it, algea starts growing in the water (not thick, but all web-like).

I got to repot it soon. The roots of some split at the bottom and now I got 2 or more plants next to eachother instead of the original one that I planted.

These plants are hell. But I love 'em.

• clay_in_iowa
    16 years ago

WOW very nice plants

• joshlynch
    16 years ago

I recognize that moss from plants coming out of Florida. I think its probably zone 9-10.

take care,

• nycti
    16 years ago

Hi Hero,

Is there any way I could purchase some live moss from u? Yours is the exactly what I have been looking for. Right now ups and other companies are stocked with boxes for xmas. Maybe after xmas would be best, I'll leave that for you to decide, if you would be willing to part with a bit of it.

Thank you,
    Happy Holidays,
    Nycti
    Nycticorax@msn.com

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

joshlynch,
    I'm in Riverside, California... whatever that means.
    I have no clue about "zones", what they are about, and failed to research them.

nycti,
    I have no idea what happened to my bucket of live moss. I used a portion of it in my plants' soil, but the rest may have evaporated*. I have no idea nor have ever tried any buys/trades by web with someone random.
    Seriously, I wouldn't know how to keep it fresh. Heck, I don't even know how the moss got there. I doubt the more adult moss I got had influence on the intire process. I think it was dying to begin with.

Worst-case-scenario, I have to purchase some more from the nursery I got it from.

But once I figure out how to do that and what-not I'll be glad to try something out in the beginning of next year.

-Hero81

*Exaggeration used

• nycti
    16 years ago

Hero,

Sorry about your moss. If you do get any to sell or trade I would be interested. I have never bought or traded on the web either, so all is a new experience for me to. :)

Or if the place you get it from has a website or I could get a phone number maybe I could order some. Is there a particular name besides just sphagnum?

Happy Holidays,
    Nycti

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hero81,

A good way to see zones is that they start high near the tropics and closer to some coastlines and range to low in the poles or inland, so the Southern area of North America, like South California, South Texas, South florida, all would be zone 9-10. As you move up North those zones drop down to 8, 7, 6, etc. until you get to Canada with zones in the 4-5, or even lower, range. The lower the zone number the lower the winter temperatures are likely to be and the hardier the plants must be to survive their naturally outside.

Here is a webpage to help you visualize where these zones are and how they interact.

http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=9

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mutant hybrid,

That map gave me the best idea of what zone I'm in: Zone 9.
    And that chart for what Zone any CP originally came from.

On the side note........
    I just fed my most healthy VFT (view first picture in first post) a pill bug (roly-poly). And like the curious, demented person I am, I spectated the entire thing.... and sorta pushed the bug into a big trap (while it was still maintaining it's walking form).

The bug eventually got on a trap where it discovered the sweet, sweet nectar of the leaves. And decided to gobble some up. Got half-way... and the trap vulgarly snapped shut.

Calculated closing time: Quarter of a second.

My reaction: I jumped due to the sudden speed.

Anyway, I just needed to gloat more about the healthyness of my plant.

• geraldino
    16 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this carnivorous plants thing.
    I really like the grass you have at the base of the plants!

Good job!