Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arvadalanee

Help with Southern Purple Pitcher Plant

arvadalanee
9 years ago

Hello. I need some advice about growing and caring for a southern purple pitcher plant. My boyfriend was just dying to get a pitcher plant for Christmas, so I really wanted to get one for him, but I am a "black thumb" and have even killed a cactus before! I just want to be sure I am buying the right stuff and not setting him up for failure.

First off, I did buy a dunecraft terrarium, because I know the plant will need lots of light, and this brutal WI winter air is so dry, even with a humidifier, my skin cracks! Will the pitcher plant do okay in this, or would this fry the plant? I certainly don't have to use the terrarium, but the plant is going to be an indoor pet. :)

Next, what size pot should I use? I know it will depend on the size of the plant, but any general advise would be appreciated.

Then there is the all important question of what to grow it in. I already ordered the sphagnum moss, (no fertilizer) but I am unsure what I should mix with it, if anything. Pearlite? Silica sand? Any particular kind?

Water with distilled water, but where? From the top and let it run down into the tray under the pot? Water only the tray under the pot?

I have read different things on different sites, but I think it's best to hear from someone with experience. I really don't want to mess up my boyfriend's gift. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!