paulzie32

'Scientist Suggests Carnivorous Petunias, Potatoes Among Us' - Fo

paulzie32
14 years ago

For those of you that may be intersted.

Scientist Suggests Carnivorous Petunias, Potatoes Among Us

Tuesday , December 08, 2009

By Charles Q. Choi

ADVERTISEMENTPetunias and potatoes may actually be carnivorous plants, scientists now suggest.

Indeed, carnivorous behavior may be far more widespread in plants than commonly thought if we take a closer look, botanists said.

At least six different kinds of killer plants have been recognized since the time of Darwin, such as Venus flytraps, which snares insects between its jaw-like leaves, and pitcher plants, which capture victims in slippery pits. These plants apparently target animals to supplement their growth in harsh, nutrient-poor habitats.

Many other plants, some quite common, have also been suggested as potential carnivores over the years that have failed to gain wide acceptance as such thus far. Petunias and potatoes, for instance, have sticky hairs that trap insects, and several species of campion flowers have the common name catchfly for the same reason.

"We may be surrounded by many more murderous plants than we think," said botanist Mark Chase, Keeper of the Jodrell Laboratory at the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in England.

Cryptic carnovores

Chase and his colleagues reviewed all the research so far on carnivorous plants. A number of plants might actually be carnivorous, they noted, but merely go about their murderous business in a subtler manner than their more conspicuous cousins.

For instance, the cross-leaved heath (Erica tetralix) is not typically considered a carnivorous plant, but this pink flower possesses sticky, adhesive glands and dwells in poor soils. Also, while carnivorous seeds might be a strange concept, those of the shepherdÂs purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris) possesses a sticky layer with chemicals that can attract, kill and digest victims.

"Although a man-eating tree is fictional, many commonly grown plants may turn out to be cryptic carnivores, at least by absorbing through their roots the breakdown products of the animals that they ensnare," Chase said.

The reason why most of these plants are not generally thought of as carnivores is because they have not been found capable of digesting what they entrap as more obvious carnivorous plants do. Still, because roots can readily absorb nutrients released from decaying corpses, nearly all plants are capable of carnivory, Chase and his colleagues assert.

"In almost every habitat, the nitrogen and phosphorus that animal bodies can provide are limiting factors for growth, and even a minimal amount of carnivory can reap some benefit," Chase told LiveScience.

Sophisticated plants

Although Chase feels there is more than just circumstantial evidence that demonstrates how widespread carnivorous plants are, to prove the point, researchers can dose insects with mildly radioactive nutrients. Scientists can then track such molecules to see if the plants are really absorbing them, which would show they are benefiting from killing prey.

"What plants are doing is much more sophisticated than we ever imagined," Chase said. "Although animals are eating plants, plants are also eating animals. It's not just a one-way street."

The scientists detailed their analysis December 4 in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society.

Comments (12)

• taz6122
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This article was posted on the ICPS forum. I wondered about those hairs and what their purpose was.

• justin1012454875
    14 years ago

So Tomatoes are considered carnivorous plants now? :P

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Not in the same sense but yes.

Justin did you get the email I sent sunday?

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    I grow a tropical tree,Schizolobium parahyba. that produces a resin strong enough to capture Lizards. Even more interesting to me it seems to a repellant to insects.
    The adhesive is so strong that the legs of the lizard get pulled off when removing. On all the net I find tons of info on this tree it's grown commercially in S.Amer. for plywood and not one mention of this characteristic.??
    If it's "carniverous " certainly not in the usual sense of the word.
    There is also the famous "Bird catcher tree" Pavonia species that capture birds with a sticky resin on the leaves. The plant seems to use the bird as a fertilizer source for seeds. Not your run of the mill "Carnivory for sure lol gary

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

The taxonomists are going to have fun with this!

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Why would Taxonomists even be interested?? To my knowledge there are no CP outside the angiosperms??
    Are there plants classified by growth habit??
    gary

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Gary, Maybe your plant doesn't know if it wants to be a regular tree or a CP, hence the Schizo part of the Schizolobium. LOL

• blutarski
    14 years ago

this story resonates with me. i've seen pics of cacti that have 'caught' insects and birds on their spines, and some species have spines that bend backward, somewhat like a barb. many cacti grow in soil that doesn't have a lot of nutrients. I could see a bird impaling itself, then rotting off the plant onto the ground and the plant benefitting from the nutrients.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    it's certainly not listed as a CP in fact Not one mention of the habit in 3 languages lol I first noticed the resin about 2 weeks after germination.. Light amber in color no noticeable smell just incredibly sticky. Within a month it had caught it's first lizard. Noting that there was not one insect caught in the resin I took some ants
    and placed them on the leaves. They all jumped off immediately. It does seem to secrete more resin around the lizard but I can't detect any type of digestion.
    Don't you think that's interesting enough to rate a paragraph or two?? lol These trees are grown by the acre in S. America but seem to rare in the US.
    Schizolobium "Split lobes" refers to seed pods that divides in half at maturity.
    You can google "pavonia" on the bird catcher tree. Was used tby the native Hawaiiians to cath the tiny birds that made those beautiful robes. It is not listed as a CP either but is known that the tree utilizes the body for seed germination. Most of the writeups are on if the plant is native to "Hawaii" not it's growth habits.
    I'm not sure "Carnivourous " has a scientific definition??
    I suspect that most epiphytic Bromeliads are carniverous but I think only 3 are classified as such.
    Those that store water have bunches of different creatures utilizing the water yet don't seem to be consuming the plant. If nothing else waste is being deposited in the water all the way up to birds. Since there is no "flush" must be using it?? lol
    gary

• tropichris
    14 years ago

A lizard eating plant REALLY bothers me, Gary! ;)

I do think a lot of bromeliads are indeed carniverous, as I have some broms in my terrarium. Whenever I feed the animals in it, I always find some dead crickets in the broms' cups, apparently drowned. I also noticed that the Broms get a lot bigger after that. Bromeliads absorb water from their cups dont they? So maybe if there are extra nutrients in that water it acts as fertilizer. You knever know!

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Don't think the tree is actually 'Eating" the lizard but is sure catching them for sure lol Unfortuneately the tree is over 25 feet tall now so I get no first hand obsevation of it;s trapping lol. Can't find another specimen locally but those in California noted the same habit. Interesting that it's strong enough to hold a lizard yet does NOT catch bugs??
    Even in my shadehouse Broms collect all kinds of things in the cups. Mosquitoes ,frogs , all kinds of bugs even water fleas. Have even had seed germinate in them.
    To my knowledge none are parasitic but I'm suspicious of several..
    Another is epiphytic orchids .Supposedly none are either carniverous or parasitic. The flowers alone suggest that they are utilizing insects not just for pollination. They are famous for the need for bacteria to allow the seed to germinate. All that adaptation yet produce immature seeds?? Much more going on there for sure!!! lol gary

• blutarski
    14 years ago

back to succulents for a bit.

i've noticed that spiders seem to like to spin webs on the spines of my cacti and madagascar palms. i imagine a lot of dead insect and spider parts fall to the ground by the plant, as well as any plant material caught in them.

this seems more likely to me than trapping birds, i guess.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County