Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingthesilence

VFT finally synched up?

enjoyingthesilence
17 years ago

Hello! I posted a while ago about my grocery store VFT being kept in my dorm room. It's been doing very well, and sending up new traps every few days, and looked very healthy... up until about two days ago. I brought it home since I'll be done the semester soon. About the time I got it home and found a nice sunny window, it started to turn yellowish and dry (except for the newest traps). Now, normally I'd think "oh, yay, it's figured out it's winter and it's going dormant!" but from what I've read, shouldn't it be turning dark brown or black, not just sickly yellow? I'm afraid it might just be sick and I won't catch it because of potential dormancy. Any ideas?

I can give additional information if it's needed... I might even have my camera around here somewhere if pictures would help.

Comments (5)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Hard to say what is actually going on. Could be either. Frequent changes in its environment could also be causing it to react. I would suggest table conditions and good lighting, just to get it through the winter.

• xymox
    17 years ago

how often are you watering your flytrap? are you setting some type of water tray below the pot/container?

About how much sunlight or light is it getting. full sunlight or are you growing it under lights. flytraps are sun-loving plants. However, at this point of the year, since days already decreased, it is complicated giving a venus' flytrap its requirements for it to grow vigorously.
    Unless you grow it under lights and keep its soil compost moist at all times, it may do fine.

I predict that the reason why the elder leaves/traps are turning yellow is due to a drastic/quick environment change
    for the plant. most venus' flytraps are sold in small 3" inch pots with a clear transparent plastic cup as a dome.
    They get no light or water whatsoever, they just rely on their little humidity as a last resort for survival inside those small containers and little ventilation.

these little plants suffer for their lives as they see a day to be their last days to live and hope to be rescued by some one who would care for them[sucks for them, i know :( ]

I agree with petiolaris,
    Just keep growing your plant in your sunny window, use a water tray to keep its soil moist at all times. Keep us posted.

Take a picture of your plant and we will give all the help we know.

• enjoyingthesilence
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, it's now in stable conditions until about February, when I move back into my dorm. It's sitting under a fluorescent lamp, which I turn on in the morning and off at night. It went without it for a couple of days, though, and only got sunlight from a window, which wasn't very strong. I guess that could be part of it. Yes, it's sitting in a cup of water... it did come in one of those pots with the cup on top, and I basically inverted it. It seems to like that.
    What's weird is that while it's turning yellow and brown, it's still sending up super-bright green baby traps, and they're pretty sizeable. Silly little plant!

• xymox
    17 years ago

sounds to me that it's perking up :)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

...and not going to have a dormancy. The light and temps are more suited for growing than that of dormancy. Next year it needs a proper one.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!