Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice chest dormancy

Posted by mutant_hybrid (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 07 at 12:26

Here is a pic of my Flytrap and newly cut back Sarracenia rubra (don't you just hate it when you have to chop all the nice pitchers in half) as they sit dormant in an ice chest. As I reduced the photoperiod to 8 hours they slowed in growth and the Flytrap, still with many upright leaves, started making much shorter petioles lying prostrate. Growth pretty much halted after placing them in the ice chest with several frozen water bottles, slowly dropping the temperature progressively over a couple days. I open it in the day and place it in a window to get natural light for antifungal purposes.

Winter had been cool here for a few days, but now it is back to 70-80 degree weather...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice chest dormancy

have you tried the refrigerator? I am trying that this year for the first time with a few plants. The rest are in the garage in front of the windows. The last two pots came in after they were frozen stiff but are doing nicely now.

How long will you keep them in the chest?

o

I did try the refrigerator for seed stratification but kept getting fungal attacks, so I moved the seeds and the dormant plants to an ice chest last winter and they did much better. Opening the chest airs the plants and gives them some light to kill off fungus and the closed chest causes condensation which cuts back on drying in cold temperatures, so less watering needed. It takes more work, but works better for me.. also keeps the fridge free for butter and cheese rather than Flytraps and Sarracenias. In addition, the ice chest open by day and closed by night produces changes in temperature that simulates nature more closely than a fridge.

I will keep them in for 2-2 1/2 months and then slowly warm them up over several days to room temperature, then give them progressively more light. Hopefully by then I will have a better apartment with nice windows and porches to place my N. American plants in good sun.

o

There is a carnivorous plant nursery in Boca Raton Florida (zone 10) that does quite well with pitcher plants and venus flytrap in the winter by letting them go very dry between watering.

The concern in South Florida is not whether they will go dormant or not (they will!), its whether they will rot in the winter.

take care,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here