Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin1012454875

Is someone would

justin1012454875
14 years ago

Hey Everyone!

I don't know how everyone can take care of these plants. There so hard when it comes to triggering dormancy and there soil... I looked everywhere but no one sells perlite to mix with peat moss. Any perlite that I find has Mircle Grow food enchaner in it... Right now I have a mixture of 50% peat moss and 50% spagnum moss. Taz6122 said "Your mix is too water retentive." All the mixes I've tried appear to be wrong... If someone could sell me the perfect mixture for my plants I would be greatfull. The last thing is Ltecato said "The lower temps and short day length at this time of year will put them in dormancy." Right now we had ONE cold night witch got to maybe in the 80s? We've had no other cold nights so how could I trigger dormancy? If someone could even send me a e-mail with there phone number and the best time to call them to full explain to me everything I should do that would be fantastic!

*E-mail is Davis.justin7890@yahoo.com

~~~Thanks so much Justin~~~

(P.s. Taz I moved my Nep. into just spag moss like you said and the moss is damp the other plants are drying out right now.)

Comments (9)

• buckcity
    14 years ago

It's not really hard-but they have Exact needs.

The natural dormancy starts with decreased daylight hours and cooler temperatures. I live in Florida and it was Thirty-two last night. You may not have the cool temperatures but you have shorter days.

If you put the sarracenia and Venus fly-trap in the refrigerator it is a moot point because they will be in the dark.

Or you could try Sunbelle's technique of leaving the two outside and decreasing the water. This could be too tricky for a beginner.

The North American Sarracenia Conservacy recommends potting pitcher plants in half sand and half peat. I buy mine at Home Depot or Lowes. Use the Play Sand (it is inside with the mortar mixes.

Long-fibered sphagnum moss is used successfully by many people to pot sarracenias and other carnivorous plants.

Just stick any sarracenia or dionea in the refrigerator and that will trigger dormancy but don't freak out if they still grow. I am getting new growth and have had thirty degree temperatures several times since October.

If you give them the right potting medium, lots of sunlight, and rain or sterile water you'll do great.
    {{gwi:569922}}

• justin1012454875
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amazing plants btw, but what kind of 'play sand'? I know it sounds funny but do you mean like play sand that goes in a sand box for kids?

• ltecato
    14 years ago

Justin, I may be presuming too much but I get the feeling that you may not have much experience with plants in general. I'm talking about non-carnivorous species like fruits and vegetables, ornamental flowers, foliage plants and houseplants. If so, you need to broaden your horizon a bit.

Carnivores are, for the most part, not beginner plants. Before anyone tries to grow them, they should spend at least a little time on other species, like maybe African violets or orchids or bromeliads.

For myself, CPs are some of the most difficult and picky plants I've ever dealt with. At least they do better than my orchids. And one plant I can never keep alive is poinsettia. With orchids and poinsettia, it's like there's a razor-thin line between too much water and dehydration, and I can never get it right. Same with hydrangeas.

• justin1012454875
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are correct I've had about 2 years with pumpkins and pepper plants mostly... I got into Cps about a month ago.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Poinsettia are easy to grow, just a bit hard to get colored up in the fall/winter. Let their soil dry out almost all the way between waterings. Feed 1/4 strength whatever your fertilizer label says at every watering. Bright, indirect sun. To color up COMPLETE DARKNESS is need for 12-14 a night. I mean COMPLETE darkness. It takes about 40 days.

Justin, 50% play sand or perlite and 50% peat moss is basic CP soil. With the peat moss get the BAIL of peat moss, not the smaller bags. With Perlite DO NOT use Miracle Grow's perlite. Those idiots put fertilizer in all their products. This may be OK for NORMAL houseplants and gardens but it's NOT for CPs.

• ltecato
    14 years ago

Justin: Pumice and vermiculite might be worth a try as well.

Tommy: Maybe I'll try again this year, but I've done my best to follow the recommendations and I've killed every darn poinsettia. And shade azaleas, too.

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

Try going to a general nursery, not in Home Depot or any other store warehouse. Go to a general nursery, they usually selll perlite and sphagnum peat moss without any additives on them. Use garden sand sold in nurseries, using 'play sand' can be dangerous because of contaminets, soil, and high alkaline particles.

• terrestrial_man
    14 years ago

If you cannot find regular perlite in your city then thee are a lot of internet stores that offer it. The link below is to one that I know to be trustworthy. You can check on Amazon.com too as they are generally reliable. There are probably many store links I could dig up but this is what is most convenient off of my Favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlite

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Justin
    Also easy to tell you don't have much experience with zone 10 also?? Like every other climate it has limitations but insted of cold it's heat. Any plant that requires a cool dormant period let alone a cold long dormant period is TOUGH here . Usually what people do is grow "tropical" plants . Those that originate from areas with no temp change. Most of the usual "houseplants" grow with ease here in fact most are used as landscape plants
    Poinsettia and MOST orchids, Palms are perfect examples . Much easier to grow them outdoors in fact they become "weedy", really tough to grow indoors.
    If you choose to grow "temperate " carniverous plants you will have to resort to artificial methods of providing the necessary dormancy. There are many species of CP that REQUIRE year around heat Nepenthes come to mind except for those that come from high altitude. Those will not tolerate summers here.
    There are soooooo many choices of things that grow easily here??? Certainly not to say it CAN"T be done but will require different methods.
    The difference between the zones in Florida are VERY subtle but make BIG differences in growth habits particularly with evergreens. GOOD LUCK gary

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!