Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patharvey4

nepethes pitcher plant

patharvey4
14 years ago

the pictures are forming but they are dry and hard and never open.

Comments (18)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Mist it once or twice a day. What species?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Misting is useless unless you are going to do it every 5 minutes 24 hours a day. Get a humidifier.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I knew you were going to say that Tommy. Do you grow any Nepenthes? I guess you have changed your mind on humidity issues since you suggest getting a humidifier. When I mist my plants they stay moist for much more than 5 minutes. The mist that settles on the soil also evaporates and raises the humidity around that plant for quite some time.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Yes I have a few Nepenthes. I didn't change my mind at all. Misting is a very SHORT term solution to raising humidity. A humidifier is a better solution. A larger one isn't needed either, a small 2-3 gallon model will raise the local humidity of the plants very nicely.

Happy holidays to all.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

RE: Can you actually plant a CP in a terrarium?

* Posted by tommyr z6 NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 7:35

The humidity need is a MYTH. Good lighting is far more important.

Tommy if you would like I will hunt down some other posts that you have made against humidity and Nepenthes? There are more.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

You seem to have issues Taz. All I said was misting isn't the solution. A humidifier would be the better choice if they want to raise humidity. Humidity *isn't* needed but that's not what they asked. YOU brought up humidity.

Why are you busting my nads?

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Why are you busting mine? Misting works for the plants I had in a terrarium. Without it they wouldn't pitcher as often. I've been using a humidifier but it alone is not enough. Maybe it's not big enough!

• phycodurus11
    14 years ago

Sure misting works great in a terrrarium and a humidifier works great in an open room. We don't know if the OP is growing in one, the other, or neither.

We need to know more information about your growing area OP, to help figure out what can be fixed.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

No misting is needed in a terrarium with humidity of 90-100%. The key word was HAD them in a terrarium. Mine are in open air now and misted along with a humidifier.

• jaynboro
    14 years ago

i am not an expert on growing nepenthes, but i found that mine did better when i left it alone....(besides keeping spagnum moist). after i quit fussing over it, it started growing and formimg pitchers. believe they just need time to adjust to their new environment. (nepenthes miranda)

{{gwi:569953}}

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Having them in a greenhouse is totally different than in a house. Your humidity is probably higher and they get more natural light. They do need time to adjust to new conditions but you can sometimes lessen the impact of the change depending on how severe and what changes you have made. Hope you have a good heater in there. This is going to be a very cold winter. We've already had temps below 0 and that's not the usual for AR. I'm having a hard time keeping my grow area above 65 when the lights are off. I'll be glad when spring arrives. Getting cabin fever already.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

BUMP!

• Hegory
    13 years ago

what is up with the whole bump thing?!

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Neps are my least cultivated of the major CP's, but the 2 that I have are in a glorified terrarium - a tray with a plastic tent and fluorescent lighting. It may be ideal, but the humidity is higher, as well as the temps. The plants do grow...

• Hegory
    13 years ago

Does it matter if you use normal tap water for misting or in a humidifier?

• lycopus
    13 years ago

Won't matter if you use tap water with a humidifier because solutes are left behind when water evaporates. For that same reason it could cause problems if you are misting.

• Hegory
    13 years ago

Wait but if humidity isn't needed than why would you use a humidifier or just mist anyways?

• Hegory
    13 years ago

LOL! anybobody got some extra leftover patience i can barrow? hahaha. by the way, nice Miranda you've got there.

Sponsored