Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nepenthes

Posted by mo89 sc (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 24, 06 at 15:43

I have a little terrarium with a nepenthes pitcher plant in it and all of the traps are closed. They look pretty healthy, but the traps have been closed for a week now. Have they begun the dormant cycle or something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nepenthes

Can you tell me for how long the plant is inside that terrarium? Are u sure that there were no drastic changes on the environment recently? Nepenthes never go dormant. If the plant is disturbed while the pitchers are growing they stop doing it and stay closed.

o

i moved it outside to get a little sunlight and the temperature was about 15degrees lower than inside.

o

Couple questions. First, what kind of light does it get in the terrarium. Secondly, tell me more about the nep. Do you know what kind it is? How big is it? How long have you had it... did it ever have any pitchers that fully matured?

Going on just what you've said so far, I'd say you shocked it a bit with the move to outside and that caused it not to fully develope the pitchers. In which case, when the plant gets back to normal, it'll make more leaves which will make more pitchers. There are however, other possible reasons. Tell me more about your set up and the environment the plant is in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here