Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i need immediate information and care for my venus fly trap that

Posted by jabinx92 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 31, 11 at 18:41

I just got my Venus Fly Trap from amazon.com today

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Fly-Trap-Plant-CARNIVOROUS/dp/B003IME288/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325374065&sr=8-1

Everything looked fine when I ordered it, (I take deep consideration in customers reviews of their experiences with the retailer).

I just got the package today and the plant looks very miserable. Half the leaves and traps were pitch black. I immediately gave it purified water and sunlight. I am just hoping I can recover this plant because I am very fascinated with what it can do.

The sun is dying down today so I put it next to my lizards cage. The reason for doing so is because my Bearded Dragon requires UVB light(10%) in order to survive. So I thought it would be best to put the VFT next to the cage instead of IN the cage. Reason for this is because I am assuming all the heat in my lizards cage would possibly dry out the plant. The white bowl contains 1/2 inch of purified water as the instructions said.

If someone can please guide me to the ropes then I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a link to the photos:

EXCUSE ME FOR THE INSANELY LARGE PICTURES. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i need immediate information and care for my venus fly trap t

I would suggest either putting it in the fridge where temperatures are cooler, or just setting it outdoors if temperatures reach the 40-50F temperature range because venus fly traps and some other carnivorous plants need a dormancy cycle in order to thrive and put out more traps.

I think the chilling requirement is 8 weeks for VFTs, but you should check the internet to find out. I'm in a cool climate so I put mine under tarps where they get near 20 weeks of chilling hours, but they need the rest at this time of the year in order to restore their growth hormones required for further production.

Here is a link that might be useful: my carnivorous plants

o

You might be better off getting one from your local Lowes or HD or other local garden Center. That one MAY recover but it needs time. When you say "purified water" what do you mean? If it gets anything but rainwater, distilled or RO water it could kill the plant.

o

Your plant looks pretty bad so dont expect much! But i got mine at QFC or Albertsons or something and it was a HUGE plant completely full of traps, the size and fullness ive NEVER seen before! Only $7 too! ive had it for almost 6 months and its still doing great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here