Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin1012454875

Cozy Homes *PICTURES*

justin1012454875
14 years ago

Hey everyone!

Well my new C.P. plants have moved into there new homes now! Everyone is doing great and eating! There was one question it's starting to get rainy (Hard enough to kill my small V.F.T. ect.) so I was wondering how people set up terrariums for there plants. I will post pictures of them so you can know what plant I have to set up in a terrarium.

~~~Thanks so much Justin~~~

{{gwi:570435}}

{{gwi:570438}}

{{gwi:570441}}

{{gwi:570443}}

{{gwi:570445}}

{{gwi:570447}}

{{gwi:570450}}

I was also wondering if this mixture of Peat moss & Sphagnum moss was ok?

{{gwi:570451}}

Comments (4)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Even though you left the brand off, that looks like Miracle Grow to me. No on the soil. No fertilizer.

I and many others use a mix of 2/1 Sphagnum peat moss/Perlite or silica sand for everything but the Nepenthes. For Nepenthes I use a 1/1/1 mix of Sphagnum/silica sand/orchid bark. You can sub perlite for the sand.

• justin1012454875
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is is a MUST for them to have that? Or can they go in this yes it is miracle grow!

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "is a must for them to have that?".

CP need sphagnum peat moss. Perlite or silica sand, or cleaned gardened sand is to keep it from compacting and aerate the roots.

Avoid any sphagnum peat moss that has ferilizer or wetting agents, like the Miracle Grow. This brand has Miracle-Gro plant food. That will kill your CPs. Some brands add ferilizer to perlite. Avoid those too. Don't use playsand since it has impurities that will kill your CPs.

Return that bag and look around nurseries that sell pure regular sphagnum peat moss, avoid a store clerk advice fertilizer will be good for you CPs. He doesn't know the requirenment to grow CPs and he thinks its like some regualr house plant.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

NO FERTILIZER NO FERTILIZER NO FERTILIZER. How many times does it have to be said? CP roots are not designed to take up fertilizer, only water. They do get some micro nutrients from the soil but where they grow is nutrient poor and acidic soil except for most pings. Your vft and pitcher plants should be outside and in full sun right now so they can go dormant. It's probably too late for that though since they should have been outside since August. Put them out and give them less and less water and hope they go dormant. Never let them dry out completely. I would wait until spring to transplant them. The Nepenthes is the only one that will be ok in a terrarium because it is a tropical and should be kept fairly warm. The others need dormancy. They can be grown in a terrarium during the growing season with good bright lighting but they need to rest every year after they are 2-3 years old. Without dormancy they probably won't live through the next growing season and may not make it through winter. If they do die back this winter give them a frige dormancy and hope they start growing again in 3-4 months. I suggest you read more about dormancy. I bumped many older threads on dormancy up recently so they should all be within the first 3-4 pages right now. Good luck!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus