Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sarracenia Purpurea from Seed

Posted by Morpheus119 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 20:24

Hey guys, I'm a new carnivorous plant enthusiast, and I'm planning on trying to grow my first CPs. I have recently bought a packet of Sarracenia purpurea (north american purple pitcher), and I would be very gratious for any tips on how to sprout/grow these. I know they need a cold stratification period in order to sprout, but I don't know how long they need to be in stratification or a good soil mixture to grow them in. Any help would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sarracenia Purpurea from Seed

Hello! This is rewarding but takes time. Do you have any mature Sarracenia plants? In any case, you can plant them in straight peat moss or peat/perlite or peat/sand or peat/Sphagnum moss or straight Sphagnum moss. Avoid fertile garden or potting soil. You can sow directly on a pot full of the above and moisten the pot and put the whole thing in a zip-loc bag into the fridge for at least a month. Than bring it out and put it under fluorescent lights (still keep the zip-loc bag).....the little seeds will sprout in 2 or 3 weeks. That will get you started. When the little seedlings get a couple of true leaves you can repot/separate them. The little seedlings will not need dormancy the first winter and you will get larger plants quicker by avoiding it. Good luck and have fun!

o

Thank you for replying! I will definitely have to try that. Unfortunately I don't have any mature plants. I was hoping to grow these from seed so that these would be my first plants. Also, thanks for the extra tip about the skipping their first dormancy. I thought they needed it every year.

o

i have some seeds that have been stratified and are now under a flourescent light now for almost 4 weeks, I still have not seen any growth, do u think they died or should i give it a little more time? oops by the way they are purple pitcher plant growing in peat and sand.

o

If you like that variety, here is mine. It's two years old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here