Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowering now?

Posted by mattmega4 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 21:54

I purchased a red leaf drosera capensis from you serracenia northwest a while back, and I thought it'd be kind of cool to grow a store bought droseara capensis next to a properly raised CP...both seem to be doing great. i live in bay area california and have them outside in the full sun in a liter box of distilled water ever since. I went up to admire my cps and i noticed the store bought sundew has started to put up a flower stalk..im prob gona shoot way over or under..but i think ive had them for liek 2 months or more. Is this normal? If it is a symtopm of death cube syndrome how long will it take to cure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowering now?

Yes it is normal for cape sundews to flower, these are tropical plants and will flower according to their growth cycle. Flowering is a good sign it has recovered. The one that you bought from the store may be on a different cycle then the one you purchased from Sarracenia Northwest.

As a side note, cape sundews, depending on the variety. Will produce foot long scapes of about 20 flowers or so, my alba cape sundews have produced scape up to 18-inches long with 30 flowers.

Cheers!

o

i guess i'm just surprised they are flowering now in the winter..i guess thats cool..glad they healed up

o

My albino version of capensis is sending up a flower scape. That "flower and die" phenomenon is mostly associated with VFT's and lack of light energy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here