Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agentrdy

Cat Litter as a Possible Medium

agentrdy
16 years ago

I've been wondering lately if cat litter (just the bare-bones clay rocky stuff) could potentially make a good CP medium. It wouldn't float in a bog, unlike perlite. I've even seen the Hertz PH5 which seems like it'd work great; low PH, and clays hold water well. However, since litter is clay, my concern would be whether it is or is not completely sterile right out of the bag (after being washed). Has anyone tried or heard anything about cat litter? Any concerns we could toss around before rendering a final judgment?

Comments (7)

• drwurm
    16 years ago

Cats would pee in it.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

The bentonite clays often contain calcium and other minerals that leech into water easily. I am not sure what the effect an acidic clay with calcium content would have on carnivorous plants. It might also have other ingredients that would be the same as fertilizer to plants since such products are used in agriculture under different names for improving crop growth and in fish tanks for improving the clarity and mineral content of the water.

If you do use it, only use it on a couple of your plants that you can stand to lose and let us know the results.

• agentrdy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish I did have some to spare; we'll see perhaps once I finish division in February :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Turface may be a better bet...

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    I use it almost exclusively on marsh type plants ,have also used it on submerged aquatics,mostly those that require constant repotting. The advantage there is that it's cheap always available ,keeps ferts out of the water column. Have never used it on bog type plants. I would be concerned about minerals also.
    What would be the advantage over regular potting mixes??
    gary

• agentrdy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I suppose we can throw sterility out. Too bad, because it seemed to have a lot of perks (for a CP medium... perhaps it'd be great for things that like good drainage like cacti and succulents). For example: clay holds water, doesn't float away (with large-scale projects in mind) like perlite, provides aeration/drainage, is cheaper than potting mixes, is available in large bags, doesn't require a trip to the home supply store, and certain brands maintain a low pH (because cat pee is alkaline and this neutralizes it). So, the verdict looks to be, due to concerns about salts, good for many plants but perhaps not for CPs. From what I can read, most standard clumping litters are indeed made from calcium bentonite clays (there're also sodium/potassium/aluminum bentonites), which mutant_hybrid mentioned. All of which pretty much go without saying in terms of usefulness to CPs.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Consider the huge difference between a marsh and a bog.
    beside the amount of water. Bogs are unique not only from the low pH but the lack of nutrients.Most plants could not live at all in a bog. That's why they turned to catching there own fertilizer lol.
    Interesting how they adapted to utilize space that other species couldn't yet automaticly limited their own adaptability. Since these parameters are so narrow obviously the choice of media would be limited.
    I use cat liter for marsh plants because it Will hold nutrients.Most of these type plants are just the opposite ,gross feeders requireing huge amounts of nutrients. Most other types of plants would suffocate in it.
    Have never tried to make "Large" bog areas as my climate limits CP's to pots for me. Couple of square feet is all I ever need.
    Hopefully someone will chime in with alternatives??
    gary

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz