Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is my venus flytrap dormant?

Posted by bryan18 southern CA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 3, 06 at 23:58

I bought a venus flytrap from home depot about a month ago and the new traps that its sending out are about half the size of the ones it came with. The average nightime temps here in southern CA are in the high 40's to low 50's. I want to give my vft a dormancy period but this is my first vft i've owned so i dont really know what a dormant vft looks like. Is my venus flytrap dormant or is it sending out its fall leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is my venus flytrap dormant?

Hey there Bryan,

I am also located in southern california. I grow my flytraps outside all year round. If your plant's new traps are smaller than what they were when you bought it, then it's probably falling dormant. My plants already stopped growing, Too.

The signs of a dormant Flytrap is:

1)Older leaves turn black and dye off
2)growth decreases or slows down
3)Traps are smaller than usual
4)leaves are closer to the soil

*My advice to you is*

1)water your plant with a tray method. Pour water in your plant's Saucer or water tray. Since it's dormant, just keep its soil moisten but not soaking wet. But never allow its soil to dry out.

2)If you're growing your plant outside, You may leave it in a bright location with some Sunlight.

3)Don't bother feeding your plant, it will most likely close its trap slowly since the temperatures are pretty cool and the days are shorter now on days.(flytraps close their traps faster when they are grown outdoors in full sun during the growing season)

Don't worry if your plant is not actively growing at this Point. Your plant will grow back again during late february as days become warmer and longer. When late February arrives, grow your plant outside in full sun, Minimum of 4 -6 Hours per day.

The growing season for flytraps is from Late february through Late October.

So, you may leave your flytrap outside if you want, it will still be dormant. I leave mine outside all the time, but i always water them.

Keep us posting here so we can help you with any of your Questions.

o
Oh.. and.

make sure to trim off the Dead leaves and traps around the base of your plant.

o
RE: is my venus flytrap dormant?

thanks for the advice xymox, im glad to know that others like you sucessfully grow vfts in southern california! i thought it was going to be quite a challenge due to the dry and hot weather. i will post here again when i have more questions...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here