Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Drought Related News

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

I didn't want to cause any thread drift on the main board, but thought it would be interesting to start a News thread concerning the drought. Feel free to add articles or comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCdrought.org

Comments (22)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are other threads on the topic from the main Carolina forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Carolina Forum Threads on Drought Topics

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wonder if this is what he meant about plans to 'level the field'

from the article.....
    :::snip:::At last month's Emergency Water Shortage Response Planning Workshop in Greensboro, Easley called on managers from the 30 most vulnerable water systems to find alternate water supplies, conduct water system audits and adopt conservation based rates to encourage citizens to conserve water.:::snip:::

Here is a link that might be useful: North Carolina's 11 Thirstiest Towns Get Help to Find Water

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

some good ideas on ways to check for leaks

Here is a link that might be useful: Checking for water leaks can help the environment

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think 'war' is a bit strong, but could get interesting if the drought continues to be an issue.

Tennessee, Georgia governors to cross paths, with water fight brewing...
    http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/feb/23/tennessee-georgia-governors-cross-paths-water-figh/
    from the article... ::::::snip:::::The Georgia House and Senate this week passed separate resolutions that would create a commission with Tennessee and North Carolina officials to resurvey and redraw the border at the 35th parallel. Water-thirsty Georgia, hit hard by a drought this past year, has long had its eye on Tennessee River water, tantalizingly out of reach across the state line.::::::::snip:::::

More about it here......

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee, Georgia water war rolls to a boil

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't realize that Pennsylvania and Maryland have a similar border issue (according to comments after the article).

Here is a link that might be useful: Mapmaker's border error raises new water war front

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

:::snip:::So it is welcome news that Hendersonville, Polk County and its towns will get state grants to develop new water sources and improve existing ones.
    The N.C. Rural Economic Development Center last week approved grants of $1.73 million for Polk County and $500,000 for Hendersonville.:::snip:::

Here is a link that might be useful: Hendersonville, Polk County

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like Raleigh is eyeballing Kerr Lake and Lake Jordan.

Here is a link that might be useful: In this war zone, winners get wet

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

some good links at this site on recreational water safety, monitoring wells, etc...

:::snip:::The moderate to strong La Niña weather pattern associated with our regionÂs exceptional drought is expected to continue through the winter and weaken through June. Some models show a possibility of it extending into the fall. Historically, La Niña events have produced above average rainfall in the Ohio and Tennessee River valleys, while the southeast receives below average rainfall. :::snip::: January through March typically is the wettest quarter of the year. As of Feb. 12, we are still nine inches below the long term rainfall average for the quarter. As of Feb. 12, we have received 3.27 inches of rainfall for the quarter, which should be about 50 percent higher according to the long term average system data kept by Duke since 1971. :::snip:::

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolinas Drought Information

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Info for our South Carolina folks...

Here is a link that might be useful: South Carolina Current Drought Status

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Has a good list of drought tolerant plants

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening for a Drought:

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shows weekly water use for each community.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekly Water Use

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pretty interesting chart on the history of droughts in NC

Here is a link that might be useful: Chart showing droughts since 1895

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: Gov. and Mrs. Easley's Drought-Busting PSAs

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, wonder how this will effect your local small farms

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought Causes Changes at Fairgrounds and Farmers Market

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pretty cool......

Here is a link that might be useful: Time Lapse Animation of Drought

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thanks, deb- great info!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're welcome, time on my hands (LOL) due to my wrist brace for CT. Trying to avoid a lot of keyboard activities, and using my left hand most of the time, but it's a good time to read. :)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stage 3 - not going to be good for the nursery/landscaping businesses...

...snip...Even as a lively debate ranges over the reasons for our water shortage -- is it due more to the drought or to the region's rapid growth? --...snip...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stage Three?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Raleigh has said if Franklin uses water from the Neuse it would threaten their supply.

"Franklin County commissioners will hold a public work session at 7 p.m. Tuesday to talk about the county's water needs and the prospect of pulling water from the Neuse River in Wake County. The meeting will be in the county's administrative building at 113 Market St. in Louisburg."

Here is a link that might be useful: Thirsty Franklin searches for water

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh well...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawmakers Eye Regulating Well Users

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

How in the world do you determine usage on a well? We have a geothermal heating/air system, so our "usuage" would be high, but necessary if we want to keep from freezing or frying. The excess from the system goes back into a lake, so it is recycled, so to speak.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I have heard that numerous Raleigh area greenhouse/grower businesses are offering FREE water to their customers!! if you have something to haul it home in you can simply fill up while shopping for plants. Almost all them are on private wells, some deeper than others so some are giving away water to keep up the good will with their water-restricted neighbors and as a way to keep people buying plants.

All water is part of ONE system. But that system is divided into sepparate compartments so people can view things and define things by the narrow view or by seeing the big picture.

There have been droughts in this country where all wells went dry and drinking/bathing water had to be trucked in. There has also been instances where water systems were contaminated and everyone had to use bottled water. We could easily get to that point.

For myself, I don't catch shower water or sink water because I am still on a septic system and the laterals run through the back of the back yard. Water going down the drain ends up watering my trees, which I believe is why my wooded areas made it through last summer.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert