Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Low Cost Shots and/or Spay-Nueter

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

This has a NC (other states too) list of programs to spay-nueter your cats. We have a local place that does this and they also had a program for low cost shots (rabies/distemper). Seniors and low income pay only 10% or 20% of that I think. The cat (this one also covered dogs, but I don't know if they all do) must be spayed or nuetered but they also had reduced rates for that. I can get my cat's shots at out local place for $10 each. Sure beats the $90 the doc wanted for just his distemper last year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lovethatcat.com

Comments (4)

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago

I've used SNAP-NC for spay and neuter services. Cats $60, Dogs $60 up to 60 lbs. to $135 for the heavier ones. They set up their mobile unit and publish the locations they'll be at each day on the web-site's monthly calendar. You bring your cat or dog at a specific time in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. Services are provided in fourteen NC counties. Along with the spay/neuter they will give your pet shots and medication at a very low cost, even microchip ID placement! They do not provide meds unless you are doing spay/neuter of your pet that day. The staff and veterinarians are kind and very careful with your pet, as if it was their own. I was very impressed and never got the impression that to them it was "just a job", they really do believe in what they are doing - preventing pet overpopulation.

Nancy the nancedar

Here is a link that might be useful: SNAP-NC.org

• heather_q
    16 years ago

Not sure what others' veterinarians are doing but mine only recommends vaccinating every other year if under 10 years and not vaccinating if over 10 years. Blood work would be needed on the older critters.

This was actually recommended by Fort Dodge about 3 years ago (my former vet showed me the letter) but veterinarians seem to be reluctant to follow the suggestions. One vet said if folks didn't have to vaccinate they wouldn't bother coming in for yearly exams. Honestly, those who do give shots on a yearly basis are probably just as likely to come for yearly check-ups.

I have vaccinated my own animals (3 dogs/3 cats) for many years because it runs me around $3 per shot (for a dhlppc/fvrcpc).

Last time I had a cat altered (male neuter) it was about 2 years ago. I think we paid about $75.00 which included an over night stay. I'm sure its gone up at this point.

Ah well, no more critters in this house for a long time!

Heather

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only shots we give ours are those required by law. We do the 3 yr rabies for our dog. Rabies and distemper for our cat. I use herbs with my pets too and they're pretty healthy. The vet once told us our beagle didn't need all that 'stuff' as he put it, but at 15 she still thinks she's a pup. She does move slower in the mornings and during rainy or cold weather but at her age it's understandable. Outside she still loves to run/race and does so with her whole heart. She was diagnosed with arthritis about 4 or 5 years ago in her back hips but as long as we keep her on her glucosamine/chondroitin joint formula, alfalfa and vit C she seems to be handling it well. She also gets some babyfood veggies (she loves sw potato and green beans) and oatmeal added to her food, slippery elm and AC vinegar at various times and loves cruising the outdoor 'yard' salad bar. She use to pick strawberries with her teeth, very nimbly and she never hurt the plants...(LOL). I avoid vets about the same as I do people docs, but if they need one I don't hesitate to take them.
    I've known a few people that do their own shots but never had the nerve to try it.

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

There is a program called "The $20 Fix" available to residents in the greater Triangle area with a combined household income below $20,000/yr. It is supported by the ReTails Thrift Shop (located behind the Red Lobster on Wake Forest Road in Raleigh). All of the store's profits go to this wonderful program, so keep them in mind when you are donating stuff! The shopping there is great too. They have all kinds of cool specials throughout the month. More info. about the store and the $20 Fix at:
    http://www.animalkind.org/retails.html

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals