Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncrescue

Sandford outing

Lynda Waldrep
13 years ago

For the first time in three seasons a friend and I journeyed to Sanford for plant purchases at the famous place there. I have to say I was disappointed. I expected higher prices, so I was not surprised about that. However, I was looking for small sizes to try some new plants...didn't want to put lots of money into something that might not like my soil or just didn't suit!

Anyway, I bought some four-in. pots but really wanted the four-packs. An employee told me that they didn't do much of that any more. Is she correct? Or did I go too late in the season to find a good assortment of four-packs?

I know there was a poster who worked there, or maybe some of you Raleigh people have gone more often and can tell me the answer. It is too far for me to drive if they are not going to have the smaller sizes I want. Comments, please?

Comments (5)

• Lynda Waldrep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops! Just noticed that I didn't spell the name of the town correctly in the title, although I did in the write up. My apologies to all who live there. My sister lived there for a year when her engineer husband was working on something in the region, and she loved it. Nice small Southern town.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Rumor has it that the entire garden center industry figured out they were losing money selling things in six packs and four packs, so now the smallest you can find is a four inch pot. The business you mention was one of the last that I know of that sold new plugs or seedlings for a low price. I guess the times have caught up with them also.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Off topic but I was wondering ,ncrescue, if in your rescue efforts do you ever come across native blue-eyed grass?(siserinchium/syserinchium). It's just starting to bloom. The plants look like a miniature iris leaf fanning out but the blooms are standard petalled and a lovely blue.
    I had a fit to get it when I saw it at a center(since closed) only to discover I already had the native type growing at the forest edge of the back yard. How it survived bulldozers and backhoes removing farm soil and saplings I have no idea. But, I love it and woe to the lawn manglers and weed sprayers who go anywhere near them.
    Out of bloom, they look like a coarse,weedy grass and the spray boys have killed off one patch I've since repopulated.
    The cultivated blue-eyed grass is not setting seed.

• Lynda Waldrep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I have found many of these plants, and I have quite a few naturally on my property where the lawn mower cannot reach. I try to dig the ones in the field in early spring and move them to a safe area, but usually that means shade, and they really don't bloom quite as well. Do you want any if I come across some? There is more than one type, I think, but I am not qualified to make that distinction.

We had a mini-rescue yesterday, and I have almost decided I am too old for this "sport." Falling down and getting eaten by briars is not fun, but the plants are still worth it...if my body cooperates.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Thanks nc, but I've got quite a few returning to the back woodside beds now I've threatened the lawn care guys with (well, you don't want to know)..if they even walk in my back yard with any Round-up.

The darn plants look so much like weedy grass except when they're blooming. Good for naturalized borders or edges of rain gardens and they don't mind if they only get a few hours of sun. Mine are mostly in dappled shade.