Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

Which insurance do you think is the best?

alicia7b
17 years ago

We've had the same insurance company for years but the new agent is really sorry. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I'm real happy with Farm Bureau. You get a discount if you have policies covering property and cars. They even offer health and health for pets.

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

What kind of insurance are you looking for? Home, auto, life?
    We use three different insurance companies. I recently re-did my homeowners policy and went on-line to investigate the different companies. I searched for 'complaint name of company' and came up with some interesting (scary) results. I also checked them out with Standard and Poor (I think that is the correct name).

I ended up staying with the same company I had before because of their history of making good on claims. They are more expensive but a cheap policy won't do me any good if they won't pay.

• pcj42
    17 years ago

2nd that on Farm Bureau. I know there are cheaper insurance companies, but the few times we have made a claim with Farm Bureau, it was no hassles. We have home, car, business insurance with them.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Farm Bureau is the first company I'm going to look at. This is for home, car, liability insurance. My MIL has Farm Bureau and really likes them as well.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

USAA. They do military people, but if you have ANY convoluted connection, you can become a member. For example, my son is a member - thru me to my husband to his exwife to her father who was a veteran. You can bet my son does not know who his stepfather's exwife's father is. I think all you need is your distant relations's member number.

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Horace Mann/Teacher's Insurance - The only catch being you must either be in education or be retired from education.

We actually wanted to go with Farm Bureau first, but the agents' office here is very badly run. After waiting twice for 45 minutes each time, and still no service (agents walking by with coffee, chit-chatting, etc.), we said "forget this".

The sad thing is - the farm bureau claims office is very well run - some of the nicest people. But many people I've talked to here have gone to other companies because of the rudeness of the other office.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Any suggestions for Health Insurance for the self employed? Major Medical would work, but would also like to find some basic Dental Insurance and prescription meds too. Most of what we've looked at has a huge deductibles and hellacious price tags.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

ck with blue cross. i thought based on what had happened to some friends the rates they'd quote me w/athsma &past issues would be awful, but they were 200 a month cheaper than through pete's work. and they can't raise your rates independantly- only with your age group (which jumps on the 5's). nor can they cancel you. so once you're in, it's good. so now the kids & i are independant. we aren't on the dental, b/c it was more, but not by much. prescripts plans aren't horrid, but they aren't the best. you choose the deduct, which sets the rates. the drug copays are high, i think. 10, 35, 50. but it's worth a quote anyhow. good luck! tam

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Would be happy to help anyone if you send email. Just happen to be an independent Life & Health agent as well as a gardener. :) NOT trying to sell, just for info on rates, carriers and plans. Can tell you BCBSNC has lowest rates for individual plans where I live. Other carriers have lower premiums, but the coverage is not as rich either. But if major med is what you're looking for, there are other respected carriers. Just make sure there is an extensive provider network in your area. Otherwise, your out-of-pocket expense will be high.