Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

I'll be moving again

Big secret, only my best friend knows that I've bought a smaller house on a dead end street with no dammmm homeowner's association.

I can put a clothes line out back, plant whatever I please.

Lots of repairs to do on this '70s vintage brick ranch.

Couple of azaleas some larger nandinas and a bed of iris that needs lifting and spreading out. I'll wait on them til I see what colors bloom next spring. But it looks healthy.

3 bed/2 1/2 baths formal living room,dining room, large den with woodburning fireplace and the brick of the fireplace is exposed on the kitchen side so I plan to hang a rack to hang my most used pans etc.

Yippee...I got a walk in pantry again.

Geesh , here I am in 5000 sq ft home now and all it had was a pantry closet so I added a tall pantry cabinet and more cabinetry for non perishables storage in the garage.

I made do.

Now, I'll have an oversized 2 car garage I can use just for my cars and a workshop area and garden tool storage.

Gonna be great!

This new little house (1971) has pastel colored toilets and sinks! Remember those? Where you bought colored toilet paper to match your toilet? How fun. I just hope I can continue to find the guts (parts) to keep repairing them.

Close to 2 acres.

Less than a mile from my kids and grandkids and the church nearby is where hubby's best friend and our god children attend church.

I have visions of Sunday dinners at my house. At least I hope so.

Don't ask why I , in the midst of probate administration on the heels of my husband's death, have added a monster stress factor to my life.

I gave it a lot of thought before I started negotiation on this little house. The listing price was just plain ridiculous. Having been a Realtor I was pretty familiar what the repair costs were going to be. I started chatting with the agent for the seller.

After 2 months of casual chatting by email I made a verbal offer. Sellers countered still at a ridiculous price and I declined and responded with all the costs I faced to get this house repaired.

They met my first offer.

I could afford to stay where I am but I had to ask myself why I would waste money on big mortgage,homeowners assn dues, monthly club dues and just the carrying costs of a huge house.

I think I deserve to live where I am comfortable and once this little house has a new roof and HVAC and updated wiring and later connection to city water and sewer I'll be loving it and start tearing up the back yard.

Walked the property and greeted by hawks and deer and a turtle nestling in the iris bed.

Big mature trees. Drain creek at the back of the property.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Comments (22)

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

Good luck on your new adventure. I know you will NOT miss the homeowners' association. Sounds as if you will be busy and loving it! Keep us in the loop.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

You know my story, well this 1950 "country house" (it was never a farm house, though I call it that most of the time) looked like doodoo when I was haggling to buy it. Every type of inspector involved told me NOT to buy it but I did it anyway. Renovations are almost done but the thing that I wished I had photos of was the "skeleton" when it got exposed during redoing the walls and ceilings. For all those pessimists and nay-sayers out there - they built houses out of really good lumber in 1950. Not one board was warped or rotten or bowed. The rafters looked like they had been installed within a year. It was amazing. I do not regret buying and fixing up this house that no one else wanted. In the entire time it was on the market not one person looked at it besides me because it looked like a house full of problems.

I got lucky and I think you will too.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finally told my son what I did and he went over to the house and saw it from the inside.
    He kept jumping on the hardwood floors expecting bounce back or at least a squeak..not a one. He discovered all the bedrooms have hardwoods under the w/w carpet. So, after a new roof,gutters and drainage around the house and minor exterior stuff I'll start moving stuff over there.
    Objective to get this current house as neutral and clutter-free as possible.
    Lots of people know this house because of our annual party so we are going to do a word of mouth marketing first before putting it on the MLS.

I think just having another house to escape to will be stress relieving.

John, when you began talking here about putting your house up for sale and when you thought you would go I empathized.
    Later, when you'd found this other house/land it seemed to be at the same time we were here discussing chickens.
    Your country house was mixed up in my mind as a chicken house but just briefly.
    You are right, they used much better grades of wood thoughout a home years ago.
    My son pointed out that the cabinets were site built rather than a compilation of components tied together.
    ugly, but functional solid wood doors to the cabinetry

I hope for 'lucky' but I know if it lightens my heart and missing my husband while putting me within walking distance of my kids and grandchildren then I chose well.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

"putting me within walking distance of my kids and grandchildren" - something money can't buy. It will make all the difference in the world.

I've lived in this house for a year and a half and yet it feels like I've been here for decades. It ended up being a perfect fit. Still there are people that see it and wonder what I was smokin' the day I bought it - but I have friends that won't drive their cars on a gravel driveway.

Now if it would just rain everyday for a month so I could get some chores done instead of spending all my spare time watering.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John, be careful what you wish for (30 days of rain,indeed!)
    ncrescue, in early October I will be digging up any rainlilies I can find and see if I can unearth a patch of mayapple roots to transplant in the new forest. Then, I'll pot up the native syserinchium (blue eyed grass).
    Sadly, my forest also contains that darn japanese stiltgrass and it's too late to pull out the seedtops.

I have to report with great delight,great happiness that a female bluebird was spotted feeding in the back yard.
    I was really going to miss my several pairs of bluebirds.
    (shouldn't say 'my'..just those present at present house)

Treated myself to a new chain saw (14") and a new grill that is near driving me crazy to assemble. I may give up and go to Lowes and hire the guy who assembles them.

• aeiger
    12 years ago

Dottie, my name is Abi and I must move quickly from Connecticut. I have heard about the dred HOA,any suggestions on avoiding them? This CT Yankee doesn't take orders well! I live in a culturally diverse area of Bridgeport but we are all home owners and though mixed we are all proud property owners. We would like to avoid gangs and drive by shootings but an older neighborhood with public transport, shopping and entertainment is ideal. A bit of land to grow my zinias and tomatoes. Would love your thoughts. Everyone feel free to email me! TIA /Abi

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Abi..I'm from Connecticut also..left there in '85 (North Haven)

Are you moving to Charlotte? You didn't say.

I suppose in any city there are areas to avoid but it seems like public transportation is important to you.
    I would go online and (if you're looking at Charlotte) google Charlotte CATS (Charlotte area transit system),bus routes.
    That will give you a great start on where to search for housing.
    In my little town here we have CATS bus service that only runs for morning and evening rush hour. You need a car here for almost everything.

Come back and tell me if it is indeed Charlotte you are headed to, if your house there is sold and what you plan to spend on a house here. Anyone else coming along with you?
    Obviously, it's going to be less expensive to buy and to live here than in Connecticut but you must remember that you are moving from a very old,very small and tightly packed state to an area that has literally exploded with development since 1985.

There's a house down the street from the one I just bought.
    Even has a greenhouse attached to the back of the two car garage. Updated kitchen. I'm thinking it's about $239K asking price on about a half acre of land. I'd never offer that much price but it didn't suit my needs for more land so I only looked at it online.
    It is vacant, ready to move into.
    Come back with more information.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and Abi..LOL, you're moving South to two full growing seasons ..spring summer,summer fall so we're gonna expect more from our Northern transplants than a few zinnias.

Just kidding..

It will startle you that something is blooming year round down here even if it's only pansies and kale and snapdragons in the dead of winter.
    No more New York City smog and gray skies in winter.
    It is blue skies here and it truly lifts your spirits to be in a clean environment.
    Don't be too concerned about the homeowners associations.
    I just happen to live in a 'neighborhood' that is country club behind gates and the developers were obsessive compulsive about rules to protect mostly the golf course and the whole area is conserved and "Audobonized" to the extreme.
    Most HOAs just want you to keep your lawn mowed and not park your cars on the street. Don't worry.

• aeiger
    12 years ago

Hi Dottie, yes I am moving to Charlotte. My son is terminally ill and I need/want to be close. The hubs is coming along (Gary) as well as 15 cats! I have a rescue for special needs cats and adopting them out will be next to impossible. /Abi

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How sad for you all. I'm sure your son will be cheered having you close.
    Will you be doing home-care?
    Where does your son live presently?

Besides Charlotte, you have many options among the towns surrounding Charlotte but you will find a car is a necessity.
    Searching on-line is the easiest way to find homes nowadays. When you narrow it down to an area convenient to your son and have done your drive-bys to check out the neighborhood/shopping etc then you connect with an agent here to see inside the houses you've selected as possibilities.
    But first, if you have to sell Ct. to buy NC or need a mortgage loan to make up the difference know that it takes much longer to get loan committment than it used to.
    Look at homes on-line. Prices will be factored by location as is the general rule of real estate. Location,location..
    Charlotte area real estate is categorized by zones.
    If you know the zone where your son is, you can search in that zone specifically or nearby zones.
    That's why I asked where he is now.
    Is this going to be a permanent relocation for you and Gary? I don't know of too many people who return Up North unless it is to follow a job. Charlotte region is very nice and you won't experience the culture shock as much as you would moving to rural areas of NC.
    Still, the re-sale housing market is tough to sell because of the competition by new construction.
    With the downturn in the economy there are literally whole neighborhoods of new homes never occupied that would be great values but for the lack of security being surrounded by empty homes and a builder that may have walked away.
    These are areas to avoid.

If you'll just respond letting me know where your son is I can better advise you where to look for both your convenience. Has he suggested any areas to look at?

• aeiger
    12 years ago

Hi Dottie, at this time my son is holding his own but he will continue to decline as there is no cure. We won't return to CT but if anything, move even farther south or out west. I do not enjoy cold weather. Jai lives in zone 7 but we really do want to live in city. if possible. I hate driving, am no good at it and have terrible eyesite!/Abi

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm doomed to have carpenter bees follow me.

I figured I'd not plant vitex at the next house because it has huge wooden overhangs. The house is all brick.
    These overhangs are prime carpenter bee nesting material.

So, the vitex family of 4 (the ones that had that witches broom thing going on in April) recovered,bloomed and bloomed (and on and on) and grew and filled out. Where they couldn't grow up or out any further they grew down.

Usually I have it well in hand with frequent prunings and clipping off seed heads so they bloom again but this year when hubby died in April I didn't set foot in the gardens.

There are 4 baby and up to 3' vitex growing under two of the trees (so I've found so far).

And, the dammmmmmmm wild blackberries, thought I'd killed them and rooted out every root.

Whoever buys this house is going to have to totally dig out one of the formal gardens to remove the vitex and those dammm,,,etc. blackberries and they will hate me when they find out what's coming up in spring.

Had to have had 20' solid growth of daturas. I mean they are growing up through the slight crack between the sidewalk and the stairs even.

The evil mockingbird has kept me company as I sit on the porch making lists and he drives off any bird or bee even close to his grove of pokeberry plants and his fast ripening dahoon holly berries.
    Next year he will go three doors down and eat from their wild blackberries and come poop/plant some more here.

Mockingbirds..one variety of bird I can live without.

Amazing how 5 months of neglect to my gardens has resulted in a disaster of weeds,grasses,stiltgrass etc.

One neat thing I found in that mess is a stand of perennial ageratum that is pure white blooming alongside the white beautyberry I thought I had ripped out of the ground and killed.

And this year, almost 6-7 years after planting the tubiforma ginkgo has decided to sprout new twigs as if to say, "Don't forget about me..I grew bigger so you could find me and bring me to the new house".
    Poor baby has to start all over again in different kind of soil.

• aeiger
    12 years ago

Dottie, purchased a house in Steel Creek area, A subdivsion called Sullivans Trace? Hope to be totally moved by end of theyear. /Abi

• User
    12 years ago

Dottie,
    I have to say I really enjoy reading your posts.
    You have a gardeners way of writing.
    Are you all moved into your new home now?
    Your new home sounds wonderful by the way.
    Did you take any of your plants with you?
    We moved into our new home in 2008 and I brought
    plenty of plants with me. I had to.
    We moved from PA to SC down by Augusta and I drove
    those plants in my car with my dog and cat on the 95
    and my hubby thought i was crazy.
    I am sorry about your hubby dying this spring.
    I am sure he is pleased to see how happy you are with your
    new home.
    I am not a religious person, but I believe he is always with you.
    Good Luck Dottie on your new place, by the way
    your write, you will make this place your home.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Abi ..that's terrific news!
    I'm still trying to accustom my 2 cats to the new place and having difficulties. Fortunately with all these doored rooms I can keep them somewhat confined near their litter box. Can't imagine what you'll be facing trying to move your 'kitty crew' but the best of luck!..

Ahh..butterfly4U what a nice post!
    I'm semi moved in..have what I could transport in my SUV but the movers are coming on Tuesday to get the big stuff
    over here.
    I know that trip you describe. In 1985 I did it in a van with three cats,two dogs and a stack of studded tires I thought I might need (then learned they are illegal here).
    Stuck in a van in December with the odor of dog upchuck and cat poop while my hubby and son drove the little car with the gerbil wasn't quite fair..but it was what it was.
    And in that van I also had tubs of perennials hauled down from Ct.

I have several peonies,roses,beautyberries,a little ginkgo tree,some odd teeny violets with pretty patterned leaves,a burgundy and yellow broom and a bunch of other things to dig and move over.
    Tried raking today and uncovered a bunch of worm snakes and a yearling king snake. Glad for the king snake..handsome black and white patterning and they go after copperheads.
    Unfortunately they also eat my cute little blue tailed skinks and anoles (local lizards). I'd love a half dozen king snakes so I'd feel more comfortable roaming my forest.

Hubby was a very giving man to all but especially me.
    His final gift was to give me the means to choose whether I would stay or move and the choice of when I would decide.
    I look forward to quickly settling in and a houseful around my table for Thanksgiving.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

butterfly4u, what a beautiful post and I have been remiss in thanking you.
    If you arrived in '08 then you have been sorely tested as a gardener in a new area, particularly sandy areas. Those recent years of the most extremes of drought were so hard
    on plants trying to reacclimate to this new region.
    I hope you were able to baby and save your Pa. favorites.

So far I've only been able to settle in one shrub I moved.
    I'm such a beast to my plants.
    This stunning Sunrise spirea was harshly dug and plopped into a large plastic pan used for mixing cement.
    Still in its pot but having rooted and grown happily where it stood at the other house, I managed to get it hauled over to the new location and then hoped it would forgive my rough handling.
    True enough, it leafed out..was grateful for infrequent watering and (still in its pot) has been placed in a location I hope replicates the sun and ground water conditions it liked before.
    Siting these bigger moved plants is tough because all the best locations seem to be covered by centipede grass I have to skive off before I can dig a decent sized hole.
    A two day job.
    I just thank goodness I'm not dealing with deeper rooted Bermuda turf you can never truly eradicate from where you want to plant shrubs and perennials.

This first spring is magnificent with discovery of flowering shrubs and bulbs on the property.

Did you buy a newly constructed home or an established property?
    This is my 2nd established property, the previous two being new construction. Quite a difference in trying to site with no trees for shade vs monstrous hardwood trees that have been cared for and limbed up to allow dappled shade.

Maybe next year when I'm planted and settled I will offer to host a plant swap in the Charlotte area. Tables out under the trees of the front yard , food and a chance to meet.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, I do believe I've got myself a mature,gi-normous blueberry bush.
    If they're really blueberries, there are thousands coming.
    Fingers crossed..and off to locate a bolt of tulle to cover the bush from birds.
    Fingers crossed it is a blueberry. That would be marvelous.

• hbwright
    11 years ago

Dottie, I really didn't think blueberry would grow well in this area. I grew up in Mass. where my grandfather had a huge mesh enclosed patch and loved it. I never would have though to try down south.

Funny I was just trying to keep myself occupied from work and read about your move. I remember you from years ago when I was much more active on gardenweb. I'm sorry to hear about your husbands passing. I hope your settling well into your new home.

I just moved into a new house built in 1948 and LOVE it. I've always lived in newer houses but this is such a treat. The beds were all overgrown but it is a work in progress as my arthritic hands allow. I love walking around finding the goodies the previous owner has strown about the landscape. Found a complete bird bath fallen down behind some azaleas and ventured back there to retreive it and set it up in a shade garden. My first shade garden ever since I've never had mature trees. Completely forgot how much weed seed can lay dormant until you till them up. Remember this the hard way of course. Loving finding what she had planted here and figuring out what the exact plants are. I have an entire yard behind my backyard that. I have no idea what to do with,other than a garden or 20. Again, will take time and money but I'll get there. Maybe a huge pond!!

Enjoy the new house and your first spring season. It really is exciting. You almost feel entrusted to take care of the former owners babies. This garden has laid neglected for over 3 years. I really want to bring it back to its former splendor and then some and maybe invite the former owner over for tea or coffee (she is in an assisted living but her son lives next door and she comes to visit on occasion).

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a nice post,hb, thank you.

I came back in to write a post to remind myself of this day
    on deathwatch for an aged cat who spent his whole life thanking me for taking a chance (during a bad rabies year) and taking him in.
    He was my heart and I swear he held the soul of my departed
    father.
    My husband adored our succession of cats and dogs but he was always so envious of this cat's devotion to me.

This cat didn't take well to the move because he was denied
    living indoors. Beyond the age of prowling the woods and gardens, he just wanted to be wherever I was.
    Actually, it was the dog who alerted me something was wrong with the cat. Probably cancer because he lost a lot of weight in a matter of a few weeks.
    Oddly enough, it was his sister cat I thought I'd have to have put down before moving but she is the adaptable one despite going stone deaf.
    Of course that was to be expected at the age of 23.
    C-Note was named by my husband after he learned the vet's bill amount to make the cat a family member.
    After Marbles leaves , no more cats. I gave my heart away already.

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Dottie, I am sorry about your husband, I haven't been on GW for a long while now and always read your posting. I hadn't ventured over to this side since I been back until tonight.
    I am truly sorry your husband past away. So glad he took really good care of you and you were able to find something you liked an was able to move.
    And now reading about the cat too, I know it must be hard for you. Hopefully you get to see the grand kids a lot and the rest of the family.
    I haven't really read any other post except this one tonight so if you have already answered this somewhere else, I'm sorry how are you doing in the new house?
    Did you get all the things fixed on it that needed to be fixed?
    How are all the plants doing? Are they happy in the ground? Did you finally get everything planted?
    And how are YOU doing?

:) Aqua

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha ha, aqua..guess you haven't read my previous years posts how setting out the plants in the pots in their eventual position somehow winds up where they root (through the pot holes).
    Over at the other house, which I am slowly but surely making progress toward readying for sale, there's 7 beautyberries all fully berried right now setting on the top of the ground in their pots..fully rooted into the soil.
    Gorgeous plants. The white BB is spectacular this year.
    The peonies, some in their pots , some actually from the soil still sit here, in the shade and while they didn't bloom they are well alive and I'll put them in the forest edge in October.

It's just been too darn hot and the soil has been too moist to dig on the days I might have the energy to dig.
    I'll get around to it and what remains alive and awaiting will get in the ground this fall.
    It has been a hard year, harder than the first 6 mo. after my husband died.
    Then, I had so much to keep my mind busy. Once I actually moved there didn't seem to be any urgency for anything except to get those darn tomato/pepper and eggplants in.
    At least they rewarded my effort..more than I'd expected.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I have to report that the half dozen or so rather small jerusalem artichokes I popped just under the soil near a downspout opening last fall (I think it was last fall) are just beginning to bloom.
    After the plants got 8' tall approaching the roof overhang I decided to give them some rope support at the 5' level.
    That rope has had to be adjusted every month since June.
    Now, first week of Sept 2012 and these plants , about 5 good sized and a half dozen smaller stalks, are now supported at the 9' level which makes a cluster of 3' at the top which is where the blooms are.
    It seriously looks like a bouquet for the Jolly Green Giant.
    Wish I had a working camera and knew how to upload.
    Not all that attractive since the blooms are way up dere.
    You have to stand on the porch to even see them.

At the last house they'd get about 8' tall and tip to reach for more full sun and fall over. Every late fall I'd sneak JA's into a soup or stew and share the bulk with friends.
    Now, these poorly sited plants (wasn't my intent to really plant them there, I just forgot them) whatever JAs develop will be dug, dried and planted way out near the creek so they can fall over at will and mostly spread to their hearts content.
    Sure wish asparagus were as easy to plant.