Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryladyfermiere

Peachland, NC moved to convos

angryladyfermiere
10 years ago

Dotty
Thanks for all of your great advice. I love used bookstores and I will check that out 100%. I moved to Peachland from the Warwick area of NY. Thanks for the tip on testing the water. Though my town has a population of less than 500 and I'm completely rural I somehow have town water. I will test it none the less though. Working on DIY rain barrels this week too.
What's with the clay in the ground? I feel like I can make bowls out of it!
Thanks for the warm welcome. This is going to be so much fun. We have 50 acres to play with, some wooded some not. Previous owners had a fenced in area that used to house horses many years ago. I can still see some of the super aged manure.

Comments (5)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

Wow...50 acres.
    What color is the clay you write of? I had small pockets of a light grey clay that I did fashion some bowls out of but most of the clay around here is less kaolin and more of the rusty colored iron oxide types.
    Roses love it once you get the clay amended so it drains better.
    Down here amendments are generally ground pinebark.
    Don't use what we use up North which is peat moss.
    Lowes and HD sell the ground pinebark for soil amendments in good sized bags and it should last for 2-3 years before needing renewal.
    Save that super-aged manure for important projects like veg garden.
    Does the property have a barn?
    You must be very excited. You're sort of tucked half way between the really interesting horticultural/specialty garden centers and the rather limited ones of Union Cty.
    Union Cty has lots of very fancy 'growers' to the retail industry. I've spotted several using GoogleEarth.
    If you don't have that on your computer yet, you should download it (free) so you can print out destination photos rather than just rely on maps.

What's the topography of your acreage? Is it rolling. Got any stream water running through? They must have had something for ground water if they had horses.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

"The Book Lady" is the name of the store up in Monroe on Hwy 74.
    It's a far piece from Peachland but I looked on-line and Wadesboro didn't have much to choose from in used book stores and this store comes up in search.
    Getting to it is an easy drive and 74 gives you a left turn lane to get into to make a U turn and then turn right into the driveway.
    It's a pale yellow building with dark green awnings. The end of the bldg. has a huge pink sign USED BOOKS.
    Once you get done there and head home, you might want to stop at the nice shopping center about a mile from the used book store(at a big intersection stop light).

From the used book store location, you are a good 20-30 min (traffic depending) from I-485 that circles Charlotte metro area and gets you to the airport.
    Some yahoo decided it would be easier to understand directions on 485 by using INNER and OUTER.
    Inner means you're heading west, outer means heading east.(course you're circling a city so inner and outer mean different things depending on where you're situated)

That clay you mentioned..well geographically you're on the fringes of the huge partly kaolin deposits that the Jugtown area (tremendous fun touring all the potteries) potters use.
    You're a bit low (south) of the proven gold areas on the edge of the slate belt of NC but if you have a running stream on the property you might try panning.
    Anyhoo, welcome to the area. You'll love it.

• angryladyfermiere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the orange clay, not everywhere, but here and there. I've been doing a bunch of reading about the soil here and I think I'm going to be ok. Doing some experimenting before the big season gets here.

Book lady bookstore, already love the name. I will get myself there pronto it's really not that far. Everything is over a 10 minute drive anyway, not a big deal. I do a couple of trips off my farm a week. I like staying home.

Made it to the charlotte farmer's market near the airport, that was great. I was suprised at how many people sell frozen turkeys as opposed to fresh ones. I thought I'd at least be able to put a deposit down. There's one place that's actually near me but they process the turkey a week before and freeze it. That's not what I'm looking for especially at 8.99 a pound.
    I've got a few other turkey irons in the fire so to speak. Any tips?
    We do have a stream that runs along the side of our property. It's barely got any water now but the word is it flows a bit during summer. We aren't sure if this will be our forever farm yet. Moved here to get a feel for the lay of the land. We like this area a lot. It's easy to get in and out of Charlotte from here and we are still far enough away to not have to deal with any city riff raff.

So busy it's nice to sit down and check out the forum.
    Thanks for the bookstore suggestion. can't wait!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

The fresh turkeys arrive at Harris Teeter the week of Tgiving and Christmas.
    Yes, you'd think that with all the poultry farms there would be a plentiful supply of 'fresh'.
    I like fresh also mainly because it occupies less time taking up space in the fridge vs. a frozen that hogs all the lower shelf area for days.
    OTOH, wild turkeys are plentiful in Union and Anson Cty if you're handy with a shotgun.
    I like my wild turkey in a glass of ice and a splash of ginger ale.

I think the season for fresh anything except collard greens is pretty well over although Matthews and Waxhaw have their farmer's markets every week during growing season.
    At Matthews you can also find fresh eggs and locally raised meats. It's popular with the areas better restaurant chefs.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

Happy Holidays !
    So, did you trek North or stay put for Christmas?
    Did you find that fresh turkey?
    Do you have any family in the area here?
    Are you North or South of 74? Looked up Peachland r/e sales and didn't find any with 50 acres unless there was
    a listing with option to add on land.
    Trying to get an idea of where you are situated. I love to
    look at things from overhead on GoogleEarth and the feature they have for elevations is very helpful.
    This is a colder December than what has been normal down here but,weatherwise, this has been an odd year
    all around thanks to the wayward jetstream . Feels almost
    Northern with the less temperate winter.
    I know if I had 50 acres , first thing I'd get is a 4 wheeler to get to the far parts of the property. Any plans for that?
    There's a good sized moto/4 wheeler place in Matthews on 74 although with bigger city prices I'm sure.
    Just a thought.