Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angeltrumpeteer

Yipppee! I got a small greenhouse!

AngelTrumpeteer
18 years ago

I've wanted a greenhouse FOREVER. I'm into tropicals that I've brought into the house every year.

But - I scored a cute little greenhouse on ebay. I just got it so it's not even put up yet.

So, I hope that I will have enough room for bunches of brugs next spring ;) As well as some other things, too.

Comments (20)

• dellare
    18 years ago

I'd love to see some pictures of it when you do put it up. Adele

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Pics hell... I'd love to see the real thing... Hey, AT, I have an idea... just send it to me and I'll assemble it for ya... even take the pictures for ya... but just to be "safe," let's have you send it to me care of "general delivery" at the post office :)

I PROMISE I'll send it back to you as soon as I'm finished taking pictures and "stuff." :-P

Really I will!
    :-P

• AngelTrumpeteer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Will post pics when I get it up! I am sooooo excited.
    It is 13' x 7' approximately. When I told my SS the size, he says it's about the size of a truck.
    I can't tell you how happy I am that I have it.

Jeff...I'm sorry you're not closer, or I just might have taken you up on your offer ;)

• ncgardengirl
    18 years ago

Hey is this the one you got?
    13'x6.6'x7' Large Half Transparent Walk-in Greenhouse / Hot House

One large Frame door with zipper

{{gwi:548135}}

I think I would like on like this too!

Thanks for putting us onto this one.
    NCGardengirl

• AngelTrumpeteer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep...that's the one! Can't wait to get mine up!

And, you're welcome. Good luck with bidding!

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Now THAT looks interesting! I have wanted a greenhouse forever. Mine will have to have sides that roll at least partway up for the summer. Does yours do that?

I had actually been thinking about a quanset hut but yours sure looks like it would fit my needs.

Please keep us posted on your experiences with it this winter.

• AngelTrumpeteer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's up...will post pics tomorrow...and it looks just like the ebay pic!

Gurley...it has 3 "windows" on each side. They close with velcro.

• dellare
    18 years ago

That greenhouse is really cool. Angel...give us updates when you can to let us know how this turns out. Adele

• ncgardengirl
    18 years ago

yeap, SO told me I could get one...but it wouldn't have been here in time for this cold spell so we put up a temp one for this year...
    Congrats on yours score though... I think I will still go ahead and get one of them if you really like it and think it is worth the money...
    Is it really sturdy?
    :) NCGardengirl

• AngelTrumpeteer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pics - as promised!
    Instructions were in French...luckily, numbers are the same!
    Each piece was numbered. It took two of us to put it up.
    As to sturdiness...on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 3. The covering is WONDERFULLY thick.
    I checked it about 1:00 today and it was HOT in there!!!

{{gwi:548136}}

Side View
    {{gwi:548137}}

Already put some brug babies in it!
    {{gwi:548138}}

I'll get some shelves for it soon. But it's the bomb!!!

• AngelTrumpeteer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I do think this greenhouse is worth what I paid for it.
    I've seen more that aren't even as sturdy as this one cost much more money.
    I think it will do what I desperately need it to do.

Each side has 3 "windows"...really, the plastic is cut so that the "windows" will roll up. There's also a "window" on the back.

• ncgardengirl
    18 years ago

It really is cool looking and the fact that the siding is so think is a great plus. Even if for some reason the frame should fell you could also use that to make a hoophouse.
    Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.
    I know you will truly enjoy it.
    :) Fran

• moonsheller
    18 years ago

AngelTrumpeteer, You will LOVE having a greenhouse. I have a small one (6 x12) that is packed. It is wonderful to go in on a cold day and smell summer. Have fun!

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

I got tired of storing my tropicals for the winter so I built a hoop house this year and so far it has worked out wonderfully. I built it completely with supplies from Home Depot (down the street) = pvc pipe, fence posts, plastic sheeting, hose clamps. Took me one weekend to finish it (one person, one weekend), cost me about $300, and it's 9 feet tall/15 feet wide/16 feet long. In the greenhouse supply catalogs a similar sized version cost over a thousand dollars. I heat it with a space heater and use a window sized box fan. It is pretty easy to keep above freezing. Because I used the clear plastic (6mil) sheeting it doesn't heat up much during the day - only about 10-15 degrees above the daytime high (over heating is a big problem with greenhouses).

I built it to be completely un-assembled in the summer months. Everything breaks down into 9 foot sections and can be bundled and stored under the house. Most of my collection can handle a light frost so I am very happy with it. Begonias and ferns really thrive in a cool hoop house.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

John, that is a GREAT idea! Thanks for posting it. I too have green house envy but not greenhouse cash. I do think I could accomlish the project you describe.

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

i wonder how many gardeners *don't* have greenhouse envy?
    i've been looking at the kind angeltrumpeteer has for months :) i don't have a lot of room and i like the collapsible aspect of both john's and angel's. maybe next fall!

• gw:sherry-csi
    17 years ago

A greenhouse is just the BEST! My hubby gave me a lean-to for Christmas and I grew my seeds in it this past spring. I'm looking forward to keeping my tropicals in it this winter. Mine measures 8ft by 14ft. and is made of fiberglass panels. It was a kit made by Turner Greenhouses. It took us a while to get it up but it sure was worth every minute of hard work. Best of luck with yours. I know that you'll love it!

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

There is a down side to greenhouses. Over time they harbor pest and disease organisms and need constant spraying. I've never owned one but I've worked in plenty - from commercial set ups to fancy collection houses. After a few years the pest load gets so high it barely seems worth it. The conditions to grow happy plants at the same time grow plant diseases and pests. You won't notice this for the first few years and it won't be much of a problem if you don't keep it warm and moist all year long. Stable temps are the problem. That is why I prefer to set up a winter time temporary version. Cuts down on the pest management tasks.

• septgrl8
    16 years ago

I just got a greenhouse very similar to this. Any suggestions on how to keep it warm at night. The temps in the day are high, but once the sun goes down it drops. I can't even use it yet cause its so cold in there. Thanks for the help

• tamelask
    16 years ago

can you run a little space heater out there on an extension cord? they do very well if you just set it on the lower setting. just make sure it's on a flame proof surface, not close to anything flammable and is the kind that if it tips it turns off. for really cold nights i run 2 on the med setting rather than 1 on high. a fan won't hurt, either. i found out the hard way that things can get fairly cold in a greenhouse with little or no damage (like 28 degrees with no damage, even to begonias and impatiens). when it dropped to 25 'cause i turned them up too high & blew a fuse, i did loose a few things but not much. it's really stunning how much protection a thin sheet of plastic gives. i'd recommend some sort of alarm if it goes below 34 or so. also, if yours is on bare ground, john's found that soaking the ground good the day before a really cold night helps, as the ground radiates more heat when moist. mine's on a porch, so that trick doesn't work for me. you can also have some black buckets full of water or full milk jugs painted black to absorb & radiate heat back at night. for really cold nights, you can always throw a large tarp over top the whole shebang to offer a bit more of protection and an insulating airspace.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville