Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

Cast iron Schlefferas(can't kill 'em)

In 2004, I bought these two 3' variegated schlefferas for my screen porch.
Ultimately, they went outside to an open porch with only an hour or so morning sun.
They'd get watered by the rain but the planter baskets had solid plastic inside so the schlefferas swam frenquently and for weeks.
They looked fine.
In summer's heat I'd forget to water them.
They looked fine.
In late fall I'd take pity and throw them into a south facing window in the garage.
Leaves would fall off mostly but by Feb/March they would sprout out with fresh foliage.
Sometimes I might remember to water them.
Haul them back to the open porch for light and natural rains.
As I prepared to move to the next house I hauled them past the the trash bin and tossed them into the car.
These boys just don't quit.
Tossed them on the new porch with western sun dappled by big trees.
Forgot to water them.
Perfectly happy.
Re arranged the porch furniture and hauled them to a spot along the foundation but under the eaves (not much water there unless it's a hurricane blowing rain)
No change.
Fixing to haul in all my potted plants in prep for the sudden frost and I lift these shlefferas and they are light, bone dry.

I think they are petrified..they've gotta be dead by now.
Nope. Must be suspended animation or something.
So, in the garage they go to get some light in the cool temps and just a little bit of water.
They'll drop all their leaves again and shiver a bit when the garage door goes up. But, they'll go on living.

My point is, some plants thrive without us, some wither and die from too much attention.
If you have to create a specialized soil home for your plant by careful, well researched amendments and feedings and worries about every little natural bug (not talking infestations) you might as well give that plant a name and add it to your list of beneficiaries.
These $8.00 on sale schlefferas have kept me company for nearly 10 years through wet and dry, searing heat and frigid cold fed only by what leaves drop in and self compost.
They're still variegated and still healthy in dead,depleted potting soil.
They deserve their spot in the winter garage.
I might actually re-pot them next spring (shock of shocks!)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!